ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine not getting up to temperature?

TT 225+
Not sure whether it is possible, but my temp gague is showing that my engine is only getting up to half temperature, this happens on my work commute ( around 7 miles) where my engine always gets up to the correct temperature until about a couple of weeks ago.

If i drive to the mrs (90 miles) then it does get up to temp, but it seems to dip off occasionally.

So basically was wondering if there is a problem or if the temp. gague is just fooked?

Thanks

Clio
I would say the thermostat is stuck open and "leaking" coolant into the rad from cold. Being summer you probably wont have used the internal heater to have noticed any reduced performance but if this is the case then smart money is on the thermostat. Easy way to check is to start the car from cold and hold the coolant pipe from the thermostat to the rad and see if it gets warm before the engine is up to temperature and the stat should be open. I had this during the cold span this year and it wasnt good, cold car, with it never getting up to temp.