ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine noise....even after belts changed

182 Trophy
A while back I asked what this horrible whurring/screeching sort of noise may have been coming from my engine (only when in gear & above 3000rpm). I was told that it was probably one of the belts. Over the weekend both cam belt/aux belt & pulleys/tensioners were replaced at a great cost to me but the noise has not dissappeared. Can anyone tell me what else this noise may be. Thanks

S4 Avant
A worn dephaser sounds nothing like what he has described. Sure it's only when in gear? Tried coasting and seeing if the noise is there still?

Could potentially be clutch or gearbox related.

182 Trophy
Yeh the noise only happens when under strain, ie when in gear moving (doesnt happen when revving stationary). Its not mega loud but is definately noticable above normal engine noise

182 Trophy
Right.... after further investigation, the noise is definately coming from lower down in the engine bay which is now making me think something to do with the exhaust (could be an air leak that is causing the noise). The noise does get more prominent as the engine gets warmer which could be exhaust again.

Has anyone had anything like this before? Please help its driving me crazy

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Diff.

Deffo sounds box related

who did your belts if you dont mind us asking

182 Trophy
RS Murray in Leeds did my belts & some other bits on Friday (but missed this one^). Im gonna take it back tomorrow & try explain a little better this time

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
could it be a whine from the water pump??

Just a bit funny its only under load, makes me think its drivetrain

Mondeo TDCI 130
I reckon its the sealing ring / fitting kit between the can and manifold! causes a squawking kind of noise as air rushes past under acceleration!

dCi 65 + C2 (<Sold)
I've got this. It chirps like a bird on start up, and everytime I change gear if my revs are too low. Basically whenever the engine shakes.

I thought it was the aux belt but it was coming from round the back of the engine. Going in on thursday for investigation.

182 Trophy
Me thinks it could be the manifold joint as well, sounds like a kind of squawking yeh & coming from that direction-ish. I will pass this info on to the mechanics tomorrow to help them sort it asap.

Thanks for all your help guys

Clio 182
I've got this. It chirps like a bird on start up, and everytime I change gear if my revs are too low. Basically whenever the engine shakes.

I thought it was the aux belt but it was coming from round the back of the engine. Going in on thursday for investigation.

What did they say?

182 Trophy
Sorry, forgot about posting the solution.Lol

It turns out it that the sealing ring between the manifold/cat had perished, causing an air leak. 1 new sealing ring later & hey presto its fixed.

Clio 182
Ok cheers, basically the noise on mine is the following;

Cheerpy tweeting
Only when under throttle
Over about 4k revs
mainly noticeable when going up a steep dual carriage way

Do these symptoms sound the same as yours?

Clio 182
Sorry, forgot about posting the solution.Lol

It turns out it that the sealing ring between the manifold/cat had perished, causing an air leak. 1 new sealing ring later & hey presto its fixed.

How much did you pay??? btw