ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mounts - what to buy???

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
I would like to know if the K-tec mounts cause any extra vibration and harshness. I am planning on driving my Clio out to the Ring alot and cant be doing with nasty vibrating mounts!

2003 Clio 172
Fred,

Do you recommend the poweflex for the dog as it gets the most abuse?

Would the dogbone bush be the usual candidate for something bashing the bottom the car under hard upshifts or when first gera traction skips?

Regards
Andy

430,911,M3,Exige,Wes
You are such a superstar you are Fred!

THANKS.... AGAIN!

is this advice still the same with ITBS as well?

what about Gearbox mounts? use standard as well?

Will get all engine and gearbox mounts replaced with new standard Renault ones as car has done 60k miles now. (puls the powerflex dog bone)

good option?

Last edited:
  Clio 172mk2
yer the power flex dog bone stopped the nocking on mine under hard acceleration in 1st and 2nd. Fred fitted :)

Evo 8 MR
The powerflex'd dogbone still increases vibration throughout the car but it reduces, not stops, the vibration from the manifold under harsh acceleration, from my experience.

I'm going all singing all dancing uprated mounts all throughout. :)

Evo 8 MR
Might I also add that the OEM dogbone bush is weak as s**t. Mine went after just 30 minutes of tracktime.

Powerflex one has so far lasted just fine throughout a full trackday + the usual abuse it gets day to day.

"Navy" N17 TWO
Danny - how can you tell if the Vibratechnics mounts are fitted properly? lol

The powerflex'd dogbone still increases vibration throughout the car but it reduces, not stops, the vibration from the manifold under harsh acceleration, from my experience.

I'm going all singing all dancing uprated mounts all throughout. :)

You changed all your mounts mate? :)

ph1 track weapon
got the powerflex and the vibratechnics fitted today. initial impressions are more vibration at idle (not excessive) and smoother through gearchanges and on and off throttle.

also seems to have quietened to exhaust a bit as it too :)

Evo 8 MR
Danny - how can you tell if the Vibratechnics mounts are fitted properly? lol

You changed all your mounts mate? :)

No....not yet.

Just saying I will be doing despite a previous comment recommending not to.

I've only powerflex'd the dogbone mount atm.

172DD Cup
i think i'm sold on the powerflex dogbone bushes. does the 172 cup have the inline or the twisted dogbone?

do the oem mounts have to be bought from renault themselves?

I've bought them from gsf and euro before. The dogbone one was EXACTLY the same - had the same markings on and was half the price, that was from euro. Had a top mount from gsf and that was fine and half the renault price.

172DD Cup
thanks. how many mounts are there- i've counted the dog bone, the gearbox mount and the top engine mount.

172DD Cup
hmmm, just seen on yozza sport they do a kit which consists of:
1. Dogbone Mount2. Offside Strut Top Mount
3. Front Subframe Mount
4. Battery Tray Mount

but i don't know if the subframe mount and battery tray mount have bushes/ are prone to failure

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
The subframe mount is more of a support and does not usually wear out. It is the upper engine and gearbox mount which cause most engine movement.

David.

172DD Cup
some sites say the dogbone is the lower gearbox mount, but ktec racing list a lower gearbox mount @ £17, so i don't think this is the dogbone

172DD Cup
thanks, didn't see your post before i posted. when you say gearbox mount and you referring to the dogbone?

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
No the front lower gearbox mount. The dog bone mount is under the back of the engine between the engine and gearbox.

David.

172DD Cup
ok, i plan to replace the dogbone bushes with powerflex ones.

working on the assumption that fitting powerflex bushes will cause the next weakest bush to fail, i should replace

lower gearbox mount
upper engine mount

is it wise to replace the upper gearbox mount?
i think that's all the bushes.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
The most popular course of action is dog bone mount, upper engine and gearbox mounts (usually uprated versions) and then a standard lower gearbox mount.

David.