ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine mount advise. Again

53 Clio's & counting
Right, iv always fely my engine moves around too much.

I have now fitted a combination of new mounts, and the best combo which i have right now is a brand new gearbox upper mount, stud and nuts, 12 month old lower box mount, 10 month old drivers side mount, and poly bushed dog bone.

I have also done all tricks, the washers on the box mount, the washers on the drivers mount, and the pulling engine forward trick.

Dispite all of this, i still get knocking when the wheels scrabble for grip, and the engine still feels loose, if i am on light throttle, especially at lower revs, the engine snaps back and forth, and you can feel it moving around.

To rop it off, i drove nick-p's ph1 yesterday, and his is nothing like mine, nice and tight to drive, small amount of movement, but worlds apart from mine.

I just cannot understand what can be causing it, it cant be the poly bushes on the dogbone, as it was even worse before i fitted these.

I simply cannot understand what is causing it, when all mounts are new?

Is there anything anyone else can suggest i try,apart from buying ktecs uprated mounts?

Any help much appriciated

rps13
I had the same problem for ages.

In the end i gave in and bought the k-tec mounts and it's transformed the car.

Have you checked the bar that goes through the upper gearbox mount is secured to the engine properly?

53 Clio's & counting
I had the same problem for ages.

In the end i gave in and bought the k-tec mounts and it's transformed the car.

Have you checked the bar that goes through the upper gearbox mount is secured to the engine properly?

yeah buddy, i have replaced that to be sure that wasn't the problem

what im worried about is if its not the mounts, then i would have wasted nearly £200?

rps13
can you feel the vibration through the front of the exhaust channel. right under the gearstick nearly?

and in the clutch when pulling away?

53 Clio's & counting
can you feel the vibration through the front of the exhaust channel. right under the gearstick nearly?

and in the clutch when pulling away?

Kinda mate, if i use very little revs yes

When im driving, if i touch the throttle slightly it will make the engine jerk forward, and same when i let off, it jerks back, if i back on and off quickly the engine can be felt rocking back and forth like mad, enough to make me move in my seat, same at higher revs, imagine coming out a corner, 4000 revs, floor it and the engine jerks, just like the simptoms you get with worn mounts

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
Sometimes the knocking is the maifold on the subframe!

PS got the paint stick. cheers x

53 Clio's & counting
Sometimes the knocking is the maifold on the subframe!

PS got the paint stick. cheers x

ah cool mate ;)

yeah i think thats what my knocking is fella, its the sloppy/slack feeling that im worried about, but there cant be anything else that effects it surely? I mean i have replaced all the mounts, and the mounting points are ok, so maybe im unlucky and have soft mounts? i think ktecs are the only place i can go, im just so afraid of buying them and that not being it, but i cant think what else can be causing it?

are you sure of the condition of the s/h mounts? as they don't seem to last well if the car's given much stick

not sure how local you are (i'm in C/Sodbury), but i've a known good upper gearbox and upper engine mount (20k) that you're welcome to fit and try briefly (i don't want to sell them) to see if that clears anything up.

also have the KTEC mounts fitted to mine - welcome to have a drive of it. the engine's solid with them fitted but - got to say - there's still shunt (it must actually be in the drivetrain)

Vw caddy tdi
Have you aligned the black bracket correctly on gear box/dog bone? And also undone/loosened the dogbone when pulling upper mounts forward, are your gb and os engine mount/dogbone oe items and fairly new?

53 Clio's & counting
are you sure of the condition of the s/h mounts? as they don't seem to last well if the car's given much stick

not sure how local you are (i'm in C/Sodbury), but i've a known good upper gearbox and upper engine mount (20k) that you're welcome to fit and try briefly (i don't want to sell them) to see if that clears anything up.

also have the KTEC mounts fitted to mine - welcome to have a drive of it. the engine's solid with them fitted but - got to say - there's still shunt (it must actually be in the drivetrain)

Sorry fella, i wrote that wrong, i meant i bought all the mounts new, thats how old they are.

Thats ever so kind of you, i live in Malmesbury, id love to have a look at your uprated mounts?

not too far, then. i was planning on popping up to Merlin at C/Coombe at some point, so can offer to meet there? wing me a PM and we'll arrange something:)

these uprated ones do mount the engine solidly (zero hand movement) but, as said, still got noticeable shunt in mine. i did notice a bigger difference when doing what you are right now (ie. polybush & new OE mounts). as others, sounds as though it's some sort of alignment issue you've got if you're still getting banging

anyway - more than welcome to see what you think of these mounts; it's no bother at all

53 Clio's & counting
Have you aligned the black bracket correctly on gear box/dog bone? And also undone/loosened the dogbone when pulling upper mounts forward, are your gb and os engine mount/dogbone oe items and fairly new?

yup black bracket adjusted mate, and yup and yup,tried it all :(

not too far, then. i was planning on popping up to Merlin at C/Coombe at some point, so can offer to meet there? wing me a PM and we'll arrange something:)

these uprated ones do mount the engine solidly (zero hand movement) but, as said, still got noticeable shunt in mine. i did notice a bigger difference when doing what you are right now (ie. polybush & new OE mounts). as others, sounds as though it's some sort of alignment issue you've got if you're still getting banging

anyway - more than welcome to see what you think of these mounts; it's no bother at all

PM'd ;)

RS RIP
post your findings + experiences please ; i did the new OEM mounts all round, and i find that after a couple of months the wearing is already noticable . Still drives fine but i know they will need changing again in the next 7K

53 Clio's & counting
Adjusted the top drivers side mount again last night, and now every time i hit a bump the whole car vibrates really badly :S

RS RIP
might also be one or two of the exhaust mounts touching metal on metal.. they need to "hang free" . Imagine when tilting the engine a bit ; it can push the exhaust position back or forth a little so that the mounts are touching. Bringing bad vibrations through the chassis ! Really woth checking because i also found a back exhaust mount touching.. I drilled out the oval holes some more for more adjustement capabality and it worked like a charm

Vw caddy tdi
I noticed extra vibration with washers fitted under drivers mount metal to metal I guess. Could it be that little front subframe mount? Also how are your top mounts? could it be play in top mounts or strut top moving about on acceleration fouling the body/turret?