ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine knocking, mount?

I have a bit of a knocking, i'm sure its nothing bad and is probably some kind of mount somewhere?

To explain it the best i can, when you set off in first and get it to high revs and lift off the power the engine rocks but mine seems to make a loud knocking noise at the same time as its rocking. If i press down on the clutch before lifting off power it doesn't do it which i have learned to do specially when in carparks and there are people around! When taking it down to Diamond Motors for the belts doing he took the top engine mount off and it was in two separate parts. I recently replaced this and it softened the sound to less often but its still there so obviously something else and the new mount has reduced movement on the engine.

Any ideas people?

cheers .

Just looked at your thread, seems a little different to mine, mine only does it in gear and when the engine is rocked, i'll try and get a video. Not quite sure where to look to see if its hitting the subframe, may get the jack under and have a closer look.

53 Clio's & counting
Im sure it will be the manifold hitting the subframe - what you want to try, is undoing the 4 big bolts on the big engine mount on the drivers side, and get a big bar behind it (Go careful not to hit the aircon pipes if you have air con) and physically move the mount forward - don't pay any attention to the little folded tag thats on the mount - that will move along with the mount - move it close to the edge - in the below picture (ignore that it's a solid mount, it still appys to a standard one) you can see a gap of 1cm or so - if you move the engine forward by levering it so there is a smaller gap there, that will stop your knocking

5398457710_d0087e3f79.jpg

Cheers for that! did what you said and it has made a noticeable difference! but is still there when its really moving. When under my car earlier on i actually saw the lower engine mount and it really needs a new one as its come away from the rubber in places so hopefully that along with a new mount should sort it, i'll be well happy if it does. Again thanks.

off to look for some threads about changing it now, it looks simple so i hope it actually is!

53 Clio's & counting
Lower one, you mean the dogbone mount mate? Super easy to change, just 2 bolts, ones a 16mm, the other a 13mm from memory, simply undo, get a hammer and hit the mount out (As it will be stuck in with general grime) then fit new - job done :)

While I'm at it I will change the dog bone one so in turn all three will have been done.

This is the one that's gone Here.

Maybe it's called something different because searching lower engine mount on eBay only comes up with that one and I'm sure there are more for sale out there.

53 Clio's & counting
Ah right, yes that is a lower one, bolts the gearbox to the subframe, though if it looks a little twisted then dont worry as they can do that.

yeah i could see that, although on this it seems the rubber has tore away from part of it with a finger gap between pretty much. Seems when i had my gear box changed when i first got the car they decided to mess everything up at the same time!

Cheers for the replays mate, its appreciated.