ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine issue

2002 172
Bought a 2003 172 Cup today, got 20 miles down the road and started hearing a rattling sound when on part throttle, under WOT the noise wasn't there. As I got a further few miles down the road the noise was there whatever I did. To me when I got home it sounded like the crank shells were rattling/knocking. Switched it off and then it refused to turn over until it had cooled down after about an hour. It was obviously still rattling/knocking. It sounded kind of similar to the dephaser videos posted at the top of this section, but would that cause it to not turn over?

I'm stumped and truly gutted, I'm convinced my oil pump has given up and the engine is scrap. I'm having it in at the garage this week for diagnoses but I fear the worst! If anyone has any suggestions please let me know!!

Thanks,
Matt.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Why didn't you take it back to the person/garage you bought it from?

Presume it was private sale, sold as seen etc.

The noise between a dephaser and bottom end bearings being kanckerd sound totally differnt, does it knock if you press the throttle?, dephaser noise will go if revved.

2002 172
Knocks when revved from what I remember.

Yes it was private sale sold as seen. Thought I was doing the right thing buying a clean, standard example. Obviously not :(

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Sounds like bottom end, but hard to say over the net/without hearing it in person.

2002 172
Sounds like bottom end, but hard to say over the net/without hearing it in person.

Exactly, I'll get a video of it tomorrow night when I go back down to the mrs place where it's stored on her drive for the time being. I am absolutely gutted about it!

2002 172
That's the thing it had no history, I bought it knowing it had no history and my intention was to get both belts and dephaser pulley done this week. Like I say I bought it mainly because the shell is in such good condition, not even a small dent on it anywhere. Didn't realise the engines were still so expensive. I don't know whether I'd get away with just replacing the block and head, and obviously the oil pump itself?

Arctic Blue 182 FF
Bummer,if it is the mains you would be better off just changing the whole lump out,theres a few advertised between 400/700 some with all belts done

172, Tiguan
You had good reason to take it straight back in my opinion, but in sleeping on it you've missed your chance. Did you not test drive it properly?

2002 172
Test drove it properly on national speed limit roads, 30mph roads everything and was fine. Like I say I got 20+ miles down the road before it started knocking and rattling badly. The slight rattle I had on part throttle I was confident was dephaser as it would disappear as soon as I accelerated.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
Test drove it properly on national speed limit roads, 30mph roads everything and was fine. Like I say I got 20+ miles down the road before it started knocking and rattling badly. The slight rattle I had on part throttle I was confident was dephaser as it would disappear as soon as I accelerated.

did the oil light come on??

doesnt sound good that u said it wouldnt turn over..... it wouldnt even crank on the starter??

2002 172
Nope no oil light nothing, this is what doesn't add up. The oil light comes on with the ignition and goes out again. When it's warm the starter motor solenoid clicks but then nothing happens. When I turned up he was replacing battery with a new one and the stop and battery light was on but I thought this was just because of the battery change.

2002 172
Pretty similar except the noise isn't that bad on idle but it's definitely the bottom end knocking. Fingers crossed I've sourced an engine. Not sure if its worth re-shelling and doing headgasket before it goes in though? It's for 110k on it.