ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine Flush

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
My 172 cup is due for another oil change so was thinking to carry out a Engine Flush the
Milage is 94,000 and I’ve had the car for over five years, but I’ve never carried out a Flush.
The car seems to be using a bit extra oil so maybe it needs a good clean inside.
What are your thoughts on Engine Flushing ???

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Its not something I would do personally, I’ve heard of some stories of it stripping seals etc, if it’s too ‘abrasive’
Just use good oil with protection properties and good fuel (if you can) and just drive it.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I wouldn’t personally, at a push run a cheaper oil though and get it hot, drop it and then change for good oil (I use Titan Fuchs/OEM ELF/Millers nanodrive)

If it’s using oil there’s a good chance it’s the rings or the valve stem seals in the head.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
Also, If it’s using a bit of oil, have you thought of putting some thicker competition oil in? Like a 10/50 or something.

Obviously it depends on what you mean ‘using oil’ if it’s just 500ml or something between oil changes, then I wouldn’t worry.

ixell

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 cup phase 2
Thanks Guys for your info I will
Get the engine hot and change the oil I used Rock Oil last time maybe this oil is no good

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I've always used them on my cars with absolutely zero issues. Not really sure what issues they can cause but willing to listen to other people's experiences..

Clio 172 Cup
I've used cheap oil as a flush before on an engine that had been in storage. The fresh oil I put in after retained its golden colour for quite a lot longer than I previously experienced with the engine predecessor. I have also used an engine flush on an old cheap car and it just seemed to make the oil a little more watery when I drained it.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The best engine flush is diesel. Seen it used on plenty of engines without issue. Just drop the oil and refill with diesel. Run the engine up for 5 minutes, then drain it off.
As diesel is also a lubricant, there are no issues with seals and bearings.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
The best engine flush is diesel. Seen it used on plenty of engines without issue. Just drop the oil and refill with diesel. Run the engine up for 5 minutes, then drain it off.
As diesel is also a lubricant, there are no issues with seals and bearings.

I wouldn't dream of doing that ever. The viscosity of diesel is much much lower than oil. I'm currently signing off some HLA's for engineering sign off where the maximum fuel(diesel) in oil levels are 5%.
The thought of running any bearings on diesel scares me massively.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I wouldn't dream of doing that ever. The viscosity of diesel is much much lower than oil. I'm currently signing off some HLA's for engineering sign off where the maximum fuel(diesel) in oil levels are 5%.
The thought of running any bearings on diesel scares me massively.
Seen it done loads of times mate without issue.

dan's cast offs.
Rock used to be and am guessing still is decent oil.

A flush can start to shift and break up bits you don't want moving round the system, sludge from b9ttom of the sump

chris blue

ClioSport Area Rep
  172 Ph1 2001
just change it more frequently, even couple thousand miles
Constant fresh oil for a few months will act as a flush

get a magnetic sump plug too
(Although many will slate it, they still catrch some crud)

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
just change it more frequently, even couple thousand miles
Constant fresh oil for a few months will act as a flush

get a magnetic sump plug too
(Although many will slate it, they still catrch some crud)

This, regular oil changes should be fine.