ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine dying whilst driving - help!!

Focus ST-3
My girlfriend also has a Clio (54 plate 1.2 dynamique) and he has had a continuous problem with it for years.

For the first time ever I witnessed it happening as she has always been on her own in the past when it has happened. It's been into about 10 garages and no-one can find a problem with it...

We were driving at night and had heaters and stereo on, and when she put full beams on everything cut off for a split second then came back on, but the electrical fault light was lit up on the dash and the car just dropped and dropped in power until it came to a stand still, even if she gave it throttle. The engine was still running but had no power, when she turned it off there was a faint very quick ticking noise which went after 30 seconds or so, then she started the engine and all was fine with no dash lights lit and she could drive off again!!!

It has happened to her so many times but I've only seen it the once. She always seems to get it started again except for the one time where I had to tow her home!!

It's really pissing her off now and cannot find a reason for it to happen! Any ideas anyone?? I have read posts about the wires in the loom that goes behind the engine in the black box, where the rub and wear through. The wires have already been taped up (from a previous owner maybe) would investigating further into this loom be of help??

Thanks in advance

Clio 1.2 16v
I had this problem going down the motorway and it kept occurring...

Have you checked anything to do with the coil pack or plugs? When i took my plugs out, they were shot to pieces so i would check that first

Hope this helps :)

Low!
I had something similar, the car would just die randomly and lights started flashing on the dash. Garages had no idea but then I got a auto electrician to have a look and he replaced one of the earth cables and it's not happened since!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Yep, get it to an auto-spark rather than a "jack of all trades" garage. Could be a loom issue, component failing or a simple earth but don't throw good money after bad at it cos electrics can get expensive.

Golf GTD Mk7
Yep, get it to an auto-spark rather than a "jack of all trades" garage. Could be a loom issue, component failing or a simple earth but don't throw good money after bad at it cos electrics can get expensive.

Best advise tbh. Get it on diagnostics to rule of issues. If it's loom related you'll get connection issues on diag.

Focus ST-3
It's going to be the upper engine loom, it's a 1.2 16v, it's what they do

That's what I thought as the black box that covers it is gone and the wires all taped up. Is it possible to replace this loom? Or is there any kind of fix?? She is tempted to sell but if it's easily fixable then it could be worth it as it's a nice car apart from the fault!!

ITB'd MK1
new loom from renault, takes a few hours to fit (because the inlet manifold has to come off) but it's not too hard, and the new loom from renault is updated to be better.

I would definitely plug in to a proper diagnostics system first just to check it out though, cheap code reader being not good enough