ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine dropped a valve - what would you do?

Following on from here: http://www.cliosport.net/threads/engine-cut-out-lost-power-whilst-driving.798651/ (see post #13 for video)

I'm told that my engine has dropped a valve and that it's past being able to be rebuilt. I have barely any mechanical knowledge of the engine so I need to know what's actually happened. Has my top/bottom end gone? Both?

Also, I'm wondering what to do next. I 100% want to keep the car so getting rid or breaking it is not an option. I'm thinking either;

- buy a cheap ish 182, drive around in that for a bit and see what the engine is like, if it's any good then drop it in mine and break the car for spares
- find a second hand engine for sale and get that put in
- fork out for a rebuilt/reconditioned engine from somewhere. But where?!

I really want to do this properly but don't have a massive amount of funds to spend on it at the moment. However, I do need a car to get around in so I'm looking to sort it out sooner rather than later. I just don't want to get another engine put in and the same thing happens months or years down the line.

Also, I've read that ph2 172 and 182 engines are different. What are the differences between the two? Something to do with the head?

What would you do?

RB Clio 182
Your top and bottom end have gone if the valves have snogged the pistons.

I would buy a good engine off here with belts done and get it fitted, if your belts needed doing then just regard this as your belts being done cost wise.

@bloke got any?

Clio 182
You'll do a engine swap in a weekend easily.
If you can't do it then fire up the bbq and invite people who can.

Your top and bottom end have gone if the valves have snogged the pistons.

I would buy a good engine off here with belts done and get it fitted, if your belts needed doing then just regard this as your belts being done cost wise.

@bloke got any?
I've been in touch with bloke and just trying to work something out at the moment.

Is it likely to be both the top and bottom end from what you can see in the thread? I honestly have no idea what I'm dealing with. I've seen recon/new top/bottom ends on Pure Motorsport but they are bloody dear. If I need both I'm especially screwed price wise if I go down that route.

^ this was just looking for a location lol

I'm in Manchester :blush:

dan's cast offs.
this is what it will look like inside...

IMAG2440.jpg

Clio 182
Swap the entire engine and use your box and fit a new clutch whilst it's out.
May as well do cambelt and dephaser etc whilst it's out of the car.
Borrow the tools and do it yourself.
It's all laid out step by step in the guides.

@bloke

image-jpeg.jpg

That was at the top of the inlet - will that be part of a valve or something else? Something flew out of the exhaust I think as well, would that be one too? 🙈

Swap the entire engine and use your box and fit a new clutch whilst it's out.
May as well do cambelt and dephaser etc whilst it's out of the car.
Borrow the tools and do it yourself.
It's all laid out step by step in the guides.
My gearbox needs reconditioning too so I was thinking of getting that done at the same time.

Do you mean the guides on here or the Renault ones?

Clio 182
If your box is trashed too then I'd maybe look at a complete donor car.
May not be as cost effective but at least you can try it all and be sure of mileage etc, then sell the bits off the donor. It's long winded but you're looking to do it on a budget.

Megane 225 f1
If thats bits of piston that engine is seriously fubared! Personally id be going recon engine, possibly 2nd hand and rebuild it myself, im fortunate tho as im a mechanic!

If thats bits of piston that engine is seriously fubared! Personally id be going recon engine, possibly 2nd hand and rebuild it myself, im fortunate tho as im a mechanic!
I'm only just realising that now! It's weird though as it did a 500 mile round trip that day and performed faultlessly. Then about 4 miles from my house it just went boom :grin:

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Bad news mate :( As said already, the entire engine will need replacing. Given that funds are short at the moment I'd just be looking for a decent 2nd hand engine and some mates with the right skills to help you swap it. At least you'll be mobile again.

clio 172
Mines up for sale as spares and repairs has an electrical fault and the body works/shell is knakerd . It's had loads of new stuff in the last year of driving .

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Manchester mate.

I'd be confident taking an engine out but not fitting the replacement one. If it didn't start for any reason I'd be ringing the scrap man.
Tbf taking it out is harder than putting it bk in as your undoing old connectors. Just ask for help im sure loads on here will help im abit south but would prob come up for the giggles lol

Christopher.

South Central-South Coast
ClioSport Area Rep
With hindsight i wish i took mine straight to a garage and let them do everything.

But on the other hand replacing on the drive is fairly simple. Im in the process of doing my second swap. Im 2.5hrs in and all it needs now is the driveshafts whipping out, the gear linkage removing and it will be ready to crane out.

330i. E30 Touring.
It's easy when you know how, and more importantly have the right tools.

If you were local, I'd have lent a hand. 2-3 hours to remove, touch longer to put back.

Clio 182
These cars are knocking on a bit now and many have had a tough life.
Many will either have big bills or the need to learn to fix themselves eventually.

I learned it off the 5gtt as they needed constant fixing after 15 years of owners ragging and tinkering.

Upgrade or get stuck in.