ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

engine conversion

iceberg 172
Right so my misses has my old 1.2 16v its finished bar the conversion and we have always wanted to convert it so how do I go about it what are the parts needed or is there a place in the west midlands that can do it for me
Cheers guys

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
It's completely pointless. For the amount of money it would cost you would be better off buying a 172. Plus a converted clio probably costs more to insure than an actual 172

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Whys that then

It will cost you more in parts than it would to buy a 172.

If you're determined to do it, buy a complete car (one that's been rear ended maybe?) and you'll need to swap over the following...

Engine, gearbox (and obviously clutch) , driveshafts, shocks and springs, subframe, wishbones, discs, pads and calipers, wiring loom, ECU, UCH, key and all the locks, rear beam (for the rear discs)

I'm not sure about the fuel tank/pump scenario though so you'll need to find out about that too.

Cup & Impreza Terzo3
Really not worth the hassle tbh mate. You'll need basically everything from a 172/182 to complete the conversion. I.E Engine, gearbox, mounts, subframe, suspension set up, shafts, brakes, ecu, loom ect.... the list goes on! Better off buying a proper Cliosport as you can pick them up cheap as chips these days.

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
It will cost you more in parts than it would to buy a 172.

If you're determined to do it, buy a complete car (one that's been rear ended maybe?) and you'll need to swap over the following...

Engine, gearbox (and obviously clutch) , driveshafts, shocks and springs, subframe, wishbones, discs, pads and calipers, wiring loom, ECU, UCH, key and all the locks, rear beam (for the rear discs)

I'm not sure about the fuel tank/pump scenario though so you'll need to find out about that too.

Doesnt need to do the locks to be fair...

iceberg 172
Cheers mr potato ill keep my eyes peeled for a rear ended one or if any of the parts are going for a decent price

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Will I need the ecu and wiring loom from the same car / engine tho

No. But you will need ECU/UCH as a matching pair so they can talk to each other and work.

You can buy them on here for under £200. But you'll need a complete loom too. Good luck fitting one of those!!

iceberg 172
Nah my mates a mechanic and more than happy to do it providing I source the bits and I give him a hand lol

Ph1
Could you not just buy a 172 / 182 and turn it into your 1.2 ? Its just so pointless due to the 2nd hand prices and even the reward after isn't exactly a battleship compared to today's modern standards.

If it was a vag engine etc then different story

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Just buy a 172 in the same colour as your 1.2. Swap the number plates and vin number over and bob's your monk house.

SQ5
Just buy a 172 in the same colour as your 1.2. Swap the number plates and vin number over and bob's your monk house.

Easiest way, I thought about it many times when I had a few silver ph1's. Would of saved money on insurance admin and tax.

I can't see why the OP shouldn't just do that, easier switching the tax disc and plates than a whole engine. Plus 1.2 insurance and tax prices, win win!

Better off getting a complete car to break down than parts, the wiring on some of the engine loom is different for some non engine parts, ie the heater fan etc.

SAAB 93 Aero TTiD SS
Full car £900?

20140628_125445_zpsaba60e1a.jpg