ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine clunk - not dogbone mount.

RenaultSport clio 172 CUP
Hi all,

I've had a single loud clunk emanating from the gearbox area for quite a while now. It only occurs during a brisk start. (start gently and it doesn't knock). I've searched high and low on this forum and everyone seems to diagnose this as a worn dog-bone mount.

So, comfortable that I'd diagnosed the problem - car goes in for MOT - I ask the guy to check it and replace. He says ALL engine mounts are solid so he didn't fix it.

So... What else could it be? Any ideas? The guy in the garage offered no other possibilities. I'm stumped.

boomerbang2006

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172,2001
If it only "clunks" when you accelerate hard,a slight pause before the gear is exchanged then if most definately is the dog bone,fit powerflex bushes and you`ll be amazed at the smoothness/difference.

So - is the MOT guy being a five penny twammer, then? Has ANYONE had this symptom and diagnosed it as anything other than a dogbone. If not then I'll just go to another garage and get one fixed on my car. The MOT guy was a bit of a tit - I had the usual 'No, there isn't meant to be an actuator arm fitted, and yes, you'll get low braking on the rears, it's design like that..."

clio sport 172 (2003
Definitely the Dog Bone mount - Powerflex is the way forward. Dog Bone mounts can look OK (solid) but under load they will allow quite a bit of movement hence the knock.

Hang on.. just re-read the reply... it only clunks when setting off (in first gear) and occasionally 'off throttle' under hard(ish) engine braking - like lifting off in second at about 30mph or so.

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
Tbh mate I doubt the bloke's even on here anymore seeing as the thread's from 2011
and he hasn't been on here since the 12th of Feb 2012.

FF 182
however, I had the same problem and it got worse, to the point where mine clunked every time I let off the throttle. Turned out it the splined sleeve on the o/s drive shaft. Check under the car in that area to see if you can see any powdered rust thrown outwards or on the joint itself.

P.S its where the male shaft comes out of the box