ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Engine building, timing, upgrades etc

Paule78

ClioSport Club Member
Nope still got it buddy my friend is going to be using it shortly

Does anyone have a Group N timing tool they want to loan, rent or sell? I have had my Trophy back a week now and I can't get used to it not being worked on so onward for new things to do to it :)

Clio 182 cup
I’ve just literally built a engine with
-Rs2 xtra inlet manifold
(50 mm extra runner length)
-65mm throttle body from ms engineering
-197 pistons
-197 cams
-Cat cam valve springs
-197 injectors
-182 ports polished head
-All new seals and gaskets
-Lightweight ttv flywheel

I’m currently running it in but am going for
Mapping 7th August
2EF3EDB6-92E2-4BE7-AE4A-5AE43C8EEA2C.jpeg
4DD0F70D-9783-4F31-ADDC-8413BE34299A.jpeg

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
-Rs2 xtra inlet manifold
-197 pistons
-197 cams
-Cat cam valve springs
-197 injectors
-182 ports polished head

Mapping 7th August View attachment 1486773View attachment 1486774
Should make decent power, mine with 182 manifold RS inlets (not matched) 197 injectors ktec induction and group n made 185hp and 170lbft torque

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
-Rs2 xtra inlet manifold
-197 pistons
-197 cams
-Cat cam valve springs
-197 injectors
-182 ports polished head

Mapping 7th August View attachment 1486773View attachment 1486774

Did you get to mapping?

Clio 182 cup
So mapping didn’t t go so well today god knows what let go but it fully s**t it self and out a hole in the block whilst being mapped 😭 so time to strip it all back down and go again

Clio 182 cup
2-300 miles Ktec done the mapping said there was no signs of knocking or anything it just let go they said

Clio 182 cup
They are closest to me and I know there’s been some horror story’s but it’s Paul at rs tuning who writes the maps

Clio 182 cup
They also seem to think there was some map
On the car from a previous owner (which I didn’t know about) which had put something like 3 degrees of timing in the map and he thinks this contributed during the run in procedure. I’m not too sure on it all but luckily I have w spare engine to put in only spec difference will be I won’t have the 197 pistons in there

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
2-300 miles Ktec done the mapping said there was no signs of knocking or anything it just let go they said
99.9% that’s a cal issue.
Generally a fresh build will fail within 20 minutes of its due to a build error in my experience.
Maybe 25 min if you really babied it.

Sorry to hear about your agro, hope you get it sorted.

Clio 182 cup
99.9% that’s a cal issue.
Generally a fresh build will fail within 20 minutes of its due to a build error in my experience.
Maybe 25 min if you really babied it.

Sorry to hear about your agro, hope you get it sorted.
A cal issue ?
So you think it was Down to my building skills ? The car had done I’d say 300 road miles driving it on various loads.

Clio 182 cup
what’s really annoying is I’ve been driving it for 2/3 weeks not taking it above 4K and it’s been brilliant they fitted 197 injectors done 2 runs and it blew up

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Sounds like someone at Ktec has fucked up to me, I’d certainly be asking them some questions.

Clio 182 cup
Unfortunately I signed a disclaimer to say what ever happens on the dyno isn’t down to them. What’s more worrying is it’s going back on the 5th to have my old engine mapped with new cams and the inlet

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
I’d def be trying to get it to EFI, I could’ve taken mine to ktec but don’t like the fact they get RS tuning to write the maps. At least with Chris he’s doing that in front of you

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
EFI was 4 hours for me each way and I’m so glad I did it. Admittedly i am lucky to be in the position of a tow car/trailer though

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a rod bolt issue possibly.

Even run fairly lean it wouldn't have windowed the block in 2 power runs, I'm sure they were monitoring afr's.

Let us know what you find when you strip it down.

I'd say pistons = mapping issue and rod/rod bolts = mechanical issue.

Clio 182 cup
Stripping it seems that it’s completely melted half the piston closest to the gearbox and then destroyed the rest of the engine. Head it’s ruined so is the block as it now has 3 holes in 🤦🏻‍♂️💥

Clio 182 cup
When I spoke to the mapper today he said that the car had 3.3 degrees of time when it shouldn’t have so they removed the timing done another run and this is when the engine failed

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Stripping it seems that it’s completely melted half the piston closest to the gearbox and then destroyed the rest of the engine. Head it’s ruined so is the block as it now has 3 holes in [emoji2359][emoji95]

Do you have any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Stripping it seems that it’s completely melted half the piston closest to the gearbox and then destroyed the rest of the engine. Head it’s ruined so is the block as it now has 3 holes in 🤦🏻‍♂️💥

Sounds like its been subjected to some pretty heavy pre-ignition, which as suspected is more than likely a cal issue. If that be the previous cal or the ktec cal, who knows, but pistons dont melt due to a mechanical failure. Theyre a result, not a cause.
I too would be interested to see the internals.

Clio 182 cup
Sounds like its been subjected to some pretty heavy pre-ignition, which as suspected is more than likely a cal issue. If that be the previous cal or the ktec cal, who knows, but pistons dont melt due to a mechanical failure. Theyre a result, not a cause.
I’ll get some more pictures tomorow when I removed the rs2 inlet it was filled with metal I will send some pictures tomorow what’s annoying is if it’s down to calibration I still don’t have a leg to stand on. I just can’t understand why they took all the Timing out the map if it was running fine with it there.

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member

Interested also, for det to cause a catastrophic failure like melting a piston so much it threw a rod through the block is some serious melting... and on an N/A!?

‘Melting’ could have also been from seizure or something which would lead to Rod Stewart showing his face [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk