ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

EMS recommendations

Captain Hat

CS Academician
ClioSport Club Member
  2002 Clio RS 172 Cup
Right, so. My track car, a Clio 172 Cup, has stopped responding to throttle input. In addition, it's started idling a little high- about 1900 RPM- and quite rough.

I've checked the pedal box, and that works.
I've checked the throttle body, and that works.
I've checked the wiring, and while I thought I'd found a dodgy connection at one point fixing it didn't help and at this point I'm running out of patience.

So I'm guessing the only things it could still be are an undiagnosed or poorly- repaired wiring issue or a broken ECU.

I know it's not that expensive to get ahold of another stock ECU, alarm and immobiliser but I don't need (or really want) the alarm and immobiliser and I don't really want to pull them out only to replace them. Plus, I kinda want to get rid of as much spare wiring from the engine bay as possible- I don't need the lights for a track car and the pathing through the dash and back over due to the car being RHD on a LHD chassis annoys me.

SO. What I'm thinking is I'd like to get an aftermarket ECU and rewire the engine, just replace all of the bits that it might be in order to definitely kill the problem. My question is- what ECUs come recommended, and at what prices? I've seen potential solutions anywhere from a couple of hundred to over a grand a pop and frankly I don't really know what to pick. Ideally I'd like something I can set up with a mechanical throttle- I'm thinking of putting a Ph1 throttle setup in to replace the electronic throttle from the Ph2 engine. At least partially so that this problem can't repeat itself. Plus it makes it easier if I want to fit a bigger throttle or ITBs or whatever in future.

Anyway, yeah; what ECUs do you guys recommend? How much should I be looking to spend?

Thanks!