ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Emissions warning light on steady, slightly hesitant to start

04BGFF182CLIORS
dash.jpg

Driving into work this morning and this little beauty has come on. No loss of power, no decrease in MPG, all sounds normal, idles normal, exhaust sounds fine. Turned it off/on again when I got to work (15 miles) hoping it would clear and it hasnt, but it did seem a little hesitant to start, turning over a few turns before firing...

What are we thinking chaps? Lambda?

Am I ok to drive it, as ill be pretty screwed getting to work otherwise! Anyone local to Canterbury area or Maidstone where I work that can plug it in as January isnt the idle time to be throwing money at Renault to diagnose :(

Typhoon

Gangsta
ClioSport Moderator
This happened to me not so long ago, as did the airbag light.
Turned out just to be the sensors, so fingers crossed for you!

04BGFF182CLIORS
This happened to me not so long ago, as did the airbag light.
Turned out just to be the sensors, so fingers crossed for you!

Im hoping it will be nothing major, it drove ok and sounded the same, I have no choice but to use it!

I have just been reading up at various solutions, even claims of HG failure which has got me scared lol!

04BGFF182CLIORS
If it means anything, I put in Esso SUL 97 last night for the first time, if that might be causing issues?! (it usually gets 95 only...)

Also turns out my dad has a generic fault code reader he 'kept' when he retired (MG master tech) so fingers crossed it will show up some info.

IIRC that light just means that it's had a poor start up, extra fuel flung down the exhaust or whatever, couple of clean start ups should see the light clear.

172 Cup & K20 Ph1
IIRC that light just means that it's had a poor start up, extra fuel flung down the exhaust or whatever, couple of clean start ups should see the light clear.

Possible indeed... I'd also look for signs of failing cat or lambda sensor. If you know an MOT guy, they may be able to check the emissions for you. Alternatively, as you said, find someone with a code reader locally.

04BGFF182CLIORS
Thanks for the help guys, im hoping it's the lambda, it was on my list of things to change anyway to get it running spot on, so this might be the time! Failing that, its de-cat time...its just ticked over 73k, so it probably is imminent!

Ill head out and take a look at lunch, give it a blast up the road and see what it does...assuming it starts!

Phoon, lets hope not :p

04BGFF182CLIORS
I should be able to to get this checked out tonight/tomorow evening, in the meantime am I OK to drive it to and from work steadily, ~40 miles a day?

Yes you're fine driving it mate, if you weren't the red engine management light in the centre of the dash would come on along with "STOP". Get a diagnostic on it to be sure. Mine's on all the time (decat) and it's absolutely fine.

04BGFF182CLIORS
UPDATE

I have had the car plugged into a ODB reader thing, and this is the outcome:

33vkb9e.png

Fault light cleared and it hasn't come back on yet...