ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Emissions light, loss of power? Cat smelling often, do i need a new cat?

172 Cup
The car started up rough for about 10 secs, then sorted itself out.
Drove for 3-4 mins up the road the emissions light came on. Took it to a garage, tightened up the exhaust as it was blowing a bit and the cat was stinking every few mins, they reset the light. Fine for rest of the day, drove for another 15 mins.

Drove to work yesterday, started up as usual, got on motorway and the light came on again after 5-10 mins.

The garage is saying they'll replace the lambda sensor, but I'm not so sure, as my MPG hasn't been affected. They aren't cheap so I don't want to pay for it to find it isn't that. The smell hasn't come back as often, only once I think.

I'm think cat personally, but far from good with cars. I'll see when they plug in the machine to reset the light if it comes up with a code, but not 100% sure there machine will tell them that.

Also, I don't think the car seems to pull as hard through the rev range, no torque steer now, just seems slower, would this be caused by a cat?

172 Cup
Apparently the code read that it was the lambda sensor the other day.

This wouldn't be the same one as the cat would it?
I just don't want to buy the lambda to find I then need the cat. To me its saying its the cat as the mpg hasn't gone down, but I really don't know.

Clio 182, Astra Sri
I had an issue similar to this the other week, I replaced the pre cat lambda and it's running great now, no lights