ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

emissions, cats, rattles...

mx5 & 172
okaay

ph2 172, all standard with a fairly recently replaced genuine renault back bit on the exhaust...

MOT time earlier in the week and my friendly MOT tester had to really, really try to get it through the emissions, it did eventually scrape through after he'd tried literally every trick in the book twice. The lambda reading was near on perfect (1.01 ), decent fuel, properly hot etc. so the obvious culprit is a busted cat.

I also have a rattle. I did have two rattles - one at about 2.5k and one at about 4k
The rearmost heatshield was loose but nice MOT man bashed it back into place when he swapped out my snapped handbrake cable and the 2.5k one seems to have gone.

Apparently none of the heatshields further forward are loose but I'm still left with the 4k rattle which is beginning to get on my tits now - is there anything else fairly common that'd cause a rattle at 4k? that i've missed?

I assume I need another cat before the next MOT but that can wait unless it's likely that the cat is the cause of the rattle in which case I'm going to swap it out as soon as I can.

I've read horror stories of genuine renault cats costing in excess of a thousand quid and there's no effing way I'm paying that - there must be an alternative (that'll pass an MOT)