ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Elises first race - Pic Whorage

Turbos.
Me and my dad were at Snetterton this weekend to take part in the Britcar race as an invitation entry. Watching Top Gear, i thought it was going to mean all manner of cars and to be honest i was looking forward to a class victory! Problem was, our 'Production' class rules were extremely vague, somehow our mate in his Superchaged K20A M'Sport Elise got in too... so were farked, but anyhoo, still an awesome weekend!

All the pit garages were full of Aston GT3 cars and the like, we managed to blag a scrutineering bay. Some prep shots:

P1040486.gif

P1040462.gif

P1040480.gif

P1040467.gif

P1040481.gif

P1040506.gif

Friday was a test day (a track day without rules) for Britcars only. We started off hopelessly, but eventually managed to scrape down to low 1'20s. I rather usefully decided to test the car's off road ability at the end of the day. It didn't fair so well, resulting in the boys working until midnight to get it fixed. My bad...

P1040494.gif

P1040495.gif

P1040497.gif

P1040498.gif

As good as new!
P1040502.gif

Saturday consisted of two test sessions and then qualifying. We made progress, getting below 1'20 but there were M3s, Steve's Honda'd Elise and some unfathomably quick ex-Cupra Championship Leons a few seconds quicker. Out of the bag though, my dad pulled out a 1'16 and we managed to qualify 4th. To put that into context, that was 30 seconds quicker than the NSX was in the wet last year :eek:

Today was race day, which was two 50 minute races. My dad and i swapped half way in both. Being wet i let my dad have the honours of starting the first race, which consisted of a rolling start. Unfortunately all his hard work was undone as he got barged out of the way and ended up near the back by the first corner! Thanks to the rain - the first of the weekend - there were quite a few DNFs and i managed to bring us home in 8th.

We were frustrated by the result and desperately wanted to improve in the second race. Our 8th place meant that was our new qualifying position. I nervously accepted to go out first this time. Despite my worries, it went really well. I got up to 6th by the end of the lap, and 4th by the end of the 2nd. Annoyingly, a seatbelt problem meant our pitstop overran by 15 seconds, and combined with the speedo not working i was very slow coming into the pits (in case i broke the limit). This cost us dearly, but my dad did admirably, climbing back up the field to clinch 5th.

Meanwhile, Steve had a massive 5 minute pitstop thanks to a sticking wheel (he changed to slicks as it started to dry out). Despite this he caned it, broke the lap record just about every lap and finished 3rd from 7th. He also won the first race, so a good weekend for him!

Couple of shots at the end...

P1040503.gif

P1040500.gif

Finally, we paid tribute to David Leslie (who won his last race in Britcar) and Richard Lloyd before heading home. They had a minute's silence and a parade lap for him.

P1040508.jpg

Wanted to get more pictures but they wouldn't let us on circuit. Anyway, sorry for my pic whorage but it was a great weekend, had to share it!

Megane Trophy
Bloody minister engines! - Are they series engine builder?

You should get it in the elise trophy they had 3 grids at donnington!

Good stuff, 1.16 is damn fast for an exige thats for sure!

Turbos.
Cheers lads.

From what i've heard, Minister is better than say Scholar. The engine is certainly due a rebuild. The Elise Trophy looks great but i'm not sure how easy it is to get in... plus its being able to dedicate time to all of the rounds, which is impossible at the moment!

We would need a K20A to be competitive anyway, some boys will be running over 400bhp ATW.

visualize whirled pe
Fair play. If I'd forked out for a nice car like that I'd have to dig deep to find the courage to put it out on a track. Looks like you had a great weekend though and it is an awsome looking machine.

E90
Mint, where do I apply LOL

actually should you need a tea boy I'd more more than happy to help out, do you have a chef, I'm fairly handy in the kitchen, and when i'm not cooking I could wander and eye up the *****

Turbos.
Steve's Honda powereed Exige was comfortably fastest. Then there was a majorly modified M3 CSL to GTR spec. Then there was a Cupra.

In the Cupra championship they do 1'15s, and they're restricted. Obviously as soon they're out of the championship the restrictors are taken off.. but i still don't know why they're so quick.

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
  XC60-R.......V40-R
Looks like an Amazing Day... I'm taking ther Clio onto Snetterton in June, My lap times will probably be like 4 Minutes as it'll be my 1st One and I'll be scared of crashing

172, Tiguan
Rich c**ts.

;)

BTW, you weren't heading south on the A26 yesterday were you Rob. Saw a CSL with a plate I thought looked remarkably similar to yours.

172, Tiguan
I was in the Clio, so yes probably. There was some car meet going on round there as there was Evo's everywhere. Saw the CSL and thought "clutter". Carried on and dawned on me it might be Rob.

Rob, we'll all have to turn up and cheer you on one day. Let us know when you're next out. Not Brands though, its dull.

brilliant piks and thread, good mate of mine is the team manager for the clio in the championship, he says you must of seen them as you shot past when you lapped them! haha

:)

Turbos.
brilliant piks and thread, good mate of mine is the team manager for the clio in the championship, he says you must of seen them as you shot past when you lapped them! haha

:)

Yeah, good to see a Clio out there! At least it seemed reliable, a lot of people seemed to have problems...

yeh, BPM theyre called. said u were rapid, hes on meganesport good lad too. his clio's summit like 40bhp up on the cup racers with loadsa extras. admire everyones work and effort in your series mate really do

Cup Turbo, Flamer
My mates take part in this, team GAMA, white E36 M3 with blue wheels, did you spot them? Came third overall i think?

Turbos.
There were two E36s, one was like you said and another similar but perhaps the detail bits were red instead of blue...

Any way, one of them was one that hit a wall... the other i'm not sure about. Did he DNF in the 1st, if so it was 10th in the 2nd race.

Only one Beember finished the 1st race and that was an E46.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Yeah that's the one. the one that hit the wall, NO.54 i think

Do you know a website that shows the results etc?

Turbos.
It should be MST Timing who have the results, i just have the print out at the moment.

In that case, Gary Whitehead? Yes, that was 10th then. He had a good lap 1,20 which could have potentially got him 2nd place... so not sure what happened thered? Perhaps he swapped to slicks (it dried out half way) otherwise something must of happened to him.

Just noticed he didn't even set a time in qualifying, so must have been a s**t weekend for him! Respect for him getting the car ready for the second race though as there wasn't much time.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Yeah that's him, should have just said that in the first place haha!

He had a proper s**t weekend, diff blew up in practice, which in turn done the box, then when they sourced the parts and got it sorted for the second race (10 mins to spare!)

Then apparently the temp sensor melted which in turn sprayed gearbox oil out everywhere, so not very good at all really lol

Turbos.
Oh dear! Oh well, 'thats racing' as they say lol. I was permanetly worried about the k-series that weekend after 3 days of abuse!

Is he doing the whole Championship?

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Yeah the whole lot, he did silverstone a few weeks back, think that was incident free apart getting snow, then sun, then rain etc etc

He's doing brands, the next one coming up i think, going to pop down and have a look