ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Elise to V6 ????

Afternoon all. Have any of you moved from an Elise to a V6? I've had the Elise for coming upto 3 years now and it's starting to feel a bit ordinary. I've done well to last three years as I went through a stage of changing cars every year. The Elise isn't the easiest thing to replace but on the shortlist would be a Clio V6.

I've done a bit of reading up and the Clio seems a possibility. From what I know so far I would be looking for a mark II as the mark I would be slower than the Elise, along with the dubious handling of the mark I?? I've only sat in a V6 and wasn't overly impressed with the interior build or quality. The pedals seemed quite oddly set aswell.

From what I know the pro's are,

Individual
Stunning looks
V6
Comfort (compared to Elise)

Con's

Running costs
Roof? ;)
other drivers attitudes
Interior quality
Pedals

What am I missing?

Clio V6 255 (Acid Yellow)
The V6 is an amazing car.

The only dissapointing aspect is the performance. It is only marginally faster than a 172 / 182 and I doubt that you would notice any performance difference between a mk1 V6 and a mk 2 (any extra bhp is cancelled out by extra weight).

I bought mine 4 months ago and love it to bits. They look fantastic and the reaction you get from other road users is just crazy. I have people taking photos of my car on a daily basis and even my girlfriend has been won over by its charms.

There are lots of pics here: http://v6owners.myfreeforum.org/viewforum7-0-0.php

Renault ChaVio
Fandango!
My pros/cons list was:

I'll miss (from the Elise)
• The Lotus badge
• The soft top
• 30 mpg

I'll gain with the Clio (hopefully)
• Better useability and comfort
• Better reliability and maintainence costs
• 155 mph

The two cars share some good qualities. Both mid engined, have similar performance albeit via different principles. Both true petrolheads cars.

Can't wait until mine is delivered next week. I am really f**king excited about this car.

Thanks for the advice and kind offers. At the moment it's very much up in the air. There's something about the V6 that's a bit special, the feeling I used to get with the Elise but not anymore. As I've said I've only sat in one and have no on road experiences to draw from. There appears to be a mark II at a local dealer that I hope to go and have a look at on Tuesday.

The car will only be a fun/weekend toy much the same as the Elise is so the MPG aspect isn't a big worry, that is unless Gordo gets a bit happy with the taxes again.

I'd love to get to the meet up but it would be a bit of a trek for me when things are still very much in their first stages. Ant V6 I guess you must be Silverlusso. Do any of you guys ever see V6's on the road? In the time they've been out I think I have only ever seen one, and I thought Elises were few and far between!!

Renault ChaVio
Yep, I am the Silverlusso!

I've only seen two MK2s on the road. The only MK1 I've seen wasn't strictly on the road – it was on display at the hotel opposite Sainsbury's on the Cromwell Road where I used to get my shopping. I think it was that car and the roadtest I watched in French in a Paris hotel room that is to blame for me buying mine!

Where you based then? I was going to drive the Lotus to that meet originally.

182BG
Get the V6, my mates got an elise and he moans about it all the time, plus IMHO i hate going in it because its takes me ages to get in and out, its unfortable to sit in and its so bumpy makes me need a wee after 5mins, lol
I would definantly say the V6 would be an upgrade, so go get one.... either that or an exige ;) mmmmm nice

I changed from an Elise to the V6, I did this for a number or reasons.

My work place chnaged and the Elise is not a good car for the motorways most days of the week.

In addition getting into and out of the Elise was a pain in the back side.

The V6 is far more comfortable ro every day use and I have averaged about 30m.p.g. over the three years I have had it.

Servicing of both has not been too bad, main thing with the V6 is the tyres, 12k for the rear and 24k for the fronts. Now on Toyos which are much quieter than the originals.

Have had a set of new couils fitted over this period of time in the V6, always thought the head gasket could go on the Elise.

Still miss the Elise when the sun is out and you go across country.

182BG
John V6 said:
Still miss the Elise when the sun is out and you go across country.

Sun..... England...... Ive never noticed! LOL

but yeh that is a good reason i guess, but then the V6 really does turn heads.
I want one!!!!

Mini Cooper S sport
KarlosFandango said:
Do any of you guys ever see V6's on the road? In the time they've been out I think I have only ever seen one, and I thought Elises were few and far between!!

Yeah I've actually seen quite a few Mk 2s about - and lots of Elises as well.

Spotted a Mars red and an Illiad Blue in Portsmouth, there's another blue one I've seen a few times near Fareham, and of course Andy D's Vee at meets.

Saw a silver one near a Renault dealers in Portsmouth the other day, but I've only seen one Mk1 Vee.

I see 182s EVERYWHERE though, mainly in racing blue.

Forester Sti, SC Clio V6,
Moved from the Exige to the V6 - totally different animal and both great cars for different reasons

You'll miss - being able to drive a race car that ended up on the road
You'll love - the challenge of getting the most out of a totally unique driving setup.

Loadsa people will tell you its slow - its a sub 6, 155mph car - is it slow??? This is more a reference to the fact that there are a lot more sub 6 second cars than a few years back and the 182 is a stonker of a hot hatch runs the V6 close and good luck to it.

To drive the two back to back is to understand why the comparison is meaningless.

If the handling is a little to tame from the Elise get some V3 KW suspension - go track it and set it up - then go chase elises - you'll need to be brave but you'll be surprised at how it does and how satisfying it is to have achieved something that was just to easy in the Lotus.

My lap times would be slower the the Exige and I'd sweat more but the grin factor is way higher.

Mike

You lot crack me up, you sound like a bunch of old women ;) , stuggling to get in and out of the Elise. Although it can be a pain if the roof is on.

Is there a sense of occasion when you drive a v6? With the Elise each trip feels enjoyable but can the v6 start to feel a bit ordinary after a while. Also do you need to be going intergalactic speeds to get any sense of speed? I went out in an Evo 8 and that thing was scary in the fact you had to be doing 100+ to have any concept of speed. I presume the fact that in the v6 the engine is behind your left ear helps with things though :D

Bare with me here, the wife (rollseyes) wants to know if the v6 feels soft and sloppy? Does it roll around? She likes the fact the Elise feels planted and 'race car' like, what's the ride of the V6 like in the real world?

Mini Cooper S sport
KarlosFandango said:
You lot crack me up, you sound like a bunch of old women ;) , stuggling to get in and out of the Elise. Although it can be a pain if the roof is on.

Is there a sense of occasion when you drive a v6? With the Elise each trip feels enjoyable but can the v6 start to feel a bit ordinary after a while. Also do you need to be going intergalactic speeds to get any sense of speed? I went out in an Evo 8 and that thing was scary in the fact you had to be doing 100+ to have any concept of speed. I presume the fact that in the v6 the engine is behind your left ear helps with things though :D

I tell you what, when I had a trip in a Vee, the sound of the engine behind me was just AWESOME and the speed was irrelevant. It made me want one. Immediately!

Yaris Hybrid
I drove my mates Mk1 V6 last night. It definitely felt slower than my 182 no doubt about it. Could be because it doesn't have a kick and feels less frantic but it was definitely a less exciting ride and certainly no quicker. Although at 70 in 5th or 6th it is revving lower than the 182 and you can feel it has more pull. The revs in 6th at motorway speed were something stupid like 2500rpm and it could pull them so its a good cruiser.

The build quality was shocking. Its an 02 plate but only has 7k more on the clock than my 182 yet everything feels loose like it is falling apart. The rear numberplate light on the bumper popped out and had to be replaced and he pulled up this round broken piece of plastic which he says is the throttle stop apparently. The dealers didn't have any in stock so he is waiting for a replacement.

The clutch is stiffer than my 182 but has less travel and it squeaks badly so I told him to sort it out! The gear box is terrible, it just feels too floppy and has a far longer throw than the 182. Steering feels lighter than the 182 but the V6 doesn't feel as nimble due to the weight. It handles alright though and the ride is nice, it doesn't roll and it doesn't crash over bumps either. A good everyday car actually.

The engine sound in the V6 is hilarious though, its like playing as one of the mega fast cars in Gran Turismo on your PS2 with a massive sound system!

The V6 gets loads of attention, no one used to look twice at his S2000 but I followed him the other day and saw 3 blokes walking along the pavement when we were stopped at the lights and they were all looking backwards at his car as they walked past!!! People will walk halfway across a carpark to check it out, I just can't see that happening with an Elise as the weedy ones are pretty common around here. They just don't have the rarity/extreme factor.

Last edited:
"You lot crack me up, you sound like a bunch of old women , stuggling to get in and out of the Elise. Although it can be a pain if the roof is on."

Wait untill you are coming up to 70, your ideas will soon change !!!!!!!!!!!

MKIII 138
John V6 said:
"You lot crack me up, you sound like a bunch of old women , stuggling to get in and out of the Elise. Although it can be a pain if the roof is on."

Wait untill you are coming up to 70, your ideas will soon change !!!!!!!!!!!

are you in your 60`s then ?

Renault ChaVio
Oh no, I've bought a pensioner's car! :)

Fandango, you have just had the Elise so long you have forgotten what a pain it is. When the car is dirty, it is raining, you're tired and you have a suit on it is awful. Then you have to sit for ages waiting for the bloody thing to demist. I got in mine two weeks ago at Heathrow having not driven it for over a week, the flight was 14 hours, it was 6am, it was cold, The interior was full of water, the windows steamed up and getting my bag in with the roof in place was like a Kryton Factor challenge. They are great cars and around a track, fun on a Sunday afternoon country drive but much of the time competely the wrong car for the job.

It is not going to feel as quick and responsive as the Elise but I think it will feel more special than one. Not so sure that it gets more attention than the Elise though as there are always people looking and taking photos of mine. But I do think it is more special than the Elise – just look how many of them are for sale on Pistonheads. Hardly a rare car.

Renault ChaVio
I'm pissing my pants with excitement about getting mine. I cancelled the delivery today so I can fetch it myself. 600 miles in one day!

Clio v6
Old?

Fandango is an expression derived from a British television commercial of the 1980s. The commercial, for a cigar, showed a car that had been fitted with extremely wide "Carlos Fandango" wheels but then the vehicle became too wide to exit from the owner's driveway.

The term "Carlos Fandango" can now be used to describe anything that looks impressive but is otherwise impractical or dysfunctional.

The V6 sounds just right up your street. :)

Clio RS 172 Ph2
There's a lot of Vee owners who are ex-Elise owners on here & other forums.

It seems a natural progression as they're both mid engined RWD, but many Elise owners seem to move to the Vee for the "practicalities" (try telling that to any non-Vee owners - the Clio v6 is practical!)

Certainly for head turning, the Vee attracts a lot of that mainly due to the rarety.