ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ELF Gearbox oils?

Dodgy one
Going to be changing this in my new box, this weekend but I'm a bit baffled, I'm going to be using 75/80 like i always have done.

There's so many threads saying use this oil use that oil but they are dating back to beginning of last year and some oils no longer exist now!

Ive been previously running the castrol epx 75/80 in my last box which was brilliant, but its now discontinued, So i'm going to be filling it with some Elf stuff.

TRX is no longer avaliable, Then there's a few threads saying use TFJ again cant find it, Then theres a few more saying to use NFJ or NFP

Seems more people are using NFJ and this supposedly supersedes TRX and a few other oils, Is this the one to use in JC5 boxes now then? Its GL4 I'm led to believe.

172 Race Car
We use 75/90 GL5 Part synthetic as recomended by Agency Transmissions. Never a minuites problem with the gearbox on the race car. Using cheap Halfords stuff too

Dodgy one
I'm only been anal over it because its a brand spankers box and dont want it crunching or leaking by the end of the year,

I don't know if it was a coincidence as i know some oils etc can play a bit of havoc with synchros and seals but my last box running the castrol started to leaking on the casing 5 or 6 months down the line after changing it, Shifted brilliantly though.

So this time was going to go with the Renault stuff so as i could make sure the warranty on it for the time being would be ok.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
75w/80 or 75w/90 GL5 will be mint mate. I've used ELF, Gulf, Tetrosyl and Millers before without any issues.

Mick

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
TRX is no longer avaliable, Then there's a few threads saying use TFJ again cant find it, Then theres a few more saying to use NFJ or NFP

Seems more people are using NFJ and this supposedly supersedes TRX and a few other oils, Is this the one to use in JC5 boxes now then? Its GL4 I'm led to believe.

I'll let you in on a little secret. Same bottles, different labels ;)

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
Can anyone shed some light on what may cause my issue.
52 plate 172, had no noises or crunches, slight cv boot leak, had local garage top up gear oil, they've used fully synthetic 75/80 and now 3rd crunches when cold and is still a little fragile when warm...!
Would 75/90 help with this? Or changing to part synthetic?
Bit fed up tbh!! Thanks in advance!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Sounds like it needs a synchro and bearing rebuild mate and it's normally 3rd that goes.

Dodgy one
Tweaked my linkage and filled it up with the elf NFJ earlier,

Its nice to get my car back right again, i can honestly say its amazing what a difference the right oil makes to them. Ive now got to get some miles on it, its off on a RR soon for mapping :eek:

Sounds like it needs a synchro and bearing rebuild mate and it's normally 3rd that goes.

You think so? Even though this only started since the garage topped up the gear oil? Literally the next drive after they did it, it felt different. Surely can't be a coincidence?

Evo 5 RS
I was convinced my second gear synchro was going. Changed the oil for the standard stuff and had the linkage adjusted and it's been fine ever since

I was convinced my second gear synchro was going. Changed the oil for the standard stuff and had the linkage adjusted and it's been fine ever since

Thanks for that bud, maybe there is some light at the end of the tunnel!! Would you know what oil you put in? And how'd you go about adjusting linkages?? Is it DIY or garage job?