ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

electrical problem h-lights, s-lights, indicators & wipers - where to look first?

Clio 172
Hi folks

I'm after some advise please.

I have an 02 172 (non cup) and yesterday it went a bit mad...
I was driving home when the headlights started flashing like crazy before going out. The car did not stop but I had lost the headlights, sidelights, indicators and electric windows.
The engine continued running fine. I could hear a continuous ticking noise (similar to light switch or wiper relay). I think I turned the car off at this point.
After flicking the light switch on and off a few times they came on again. Nothing happened then for an hour or so but it happened again going onto the drive at home and this time they did not come back on.
The brake lights still work fine btw.

I'm wondering if anyone else our there has a had similar problem? Or if anyone can offer any advise as where to begin the search?

Many thanks,
Dan

Clio 172
Thanks for the reply. If I have to take it to Renault so be it but I was hoping that to be a last resort.

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
The UCH is the magical box of electrics that controls pretty much every function of your vehicle that you take for granted:

Electric windows,
Lights,
Indicators,
Central locking,
Security,
And more

The last one of these I did for a CS member was £300 supplied, fitted and coded - that was for a new N3 UCH. They don't have to go to Renault to be done but they do need CLIP access i'm afraid.

Mick

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Not really, just Renault are rob-dogging b******s :pI can get a new N3 for just over £200 then £20 for the access codes and an hours work fitting and doing the CLIP work... Easy money if I'm honest. Could be greedy but there's no point.

Clio 172
update -

A friend took a look at the car during the weekend (under bonnet inspection and checked fault codes ect...). He suggested some of the earth points were fairly corroded so I decided to remove, clean and replace them. The only fault codes were traction control (not on the car, lol) and the rear wiper (which works fine).

So far the car has been ok.