ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Electrical help please changing cigarette lighter to permanent USB

Hey all
I've just joined.
I have a 2003 Clio. The cigarette lighter has stopped powering any USB adapters unless I twist and hold it in a position which is impossible to stay on.
I don't need a lighter so was going to do a straight swap for this permanent USB only socket TOOGOO(R) 3.1 Amp Duel USB Car Charger Outlet Panel Mount Motorcycle https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01A57399Q/?tag=cliospnet01-21

This offers 5v 2.1 amps for an iPad and 5v 1a for an iPhone.

I'm not sure if when I take the 3 wires from the lighter if I need to fuse the live wire?
This has only plus and negative so I was guessing to use the yellow wire as live and black wire as negative and then tape off the blue ignition wire as it don't need to power a light.
Can anyone tell me if I'm correct and shouldn't at chop the wires and do it or fit a fuse between the live wire and the new socket?
Is it best to disconnect the battery first or is it not worth it?
Anything else you can think of to help.
Thanks

RS 200 CUP
Did you manage to sort this out in the end? I'm looking at doing something similar so was wondering how you got on with it.