ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ELECTRICAL FAULT - HELP!!!

Clio 182 cup
Hi Guys n gals,

I have just purchased my 182 cup last week, and as is always the way, once you get it home you find a few niggles!!

Basically the car runs ok, although perhaps the idle is a smidgen low...

However, all lights on the car (inside, outside, clock etc) all slighlty flicker when the car is running - not when it is not. Usually a blip of the throttle sorts it out, but no matter how high the revs are, it still does it.

I have checked and cleaned all battery terminals, which are all good, the battery holds its charge and seems to be sending a charge to the alternator. I checked the main battery earth and again all is well.

Does anyone know of any other likely culprit parts to check? Any help would be greatly appreciated, beacuse quite frankly, Renault know less than you lot!! :)

RS mk2 172
There seems to be a common fault with the alternators on these vehicles although Renault are refusing to accept this. I have 172 which was producing a strong smell of electrical burning coming from the alternator which has now given up the ghost. At a guess I think it is overcharging and the voltage regulator is faulty.
I understand there was a previous post on here a while back where a 172 cup actually caught fire whilst the owner was in a filling station paying for fuel and the source of ignition was thought to be the alternator although this remains unconfirmed as yet.
The fact that your lights are flickering "suggests" that the regulator on your alternator could be faulty and I would have this checked out using a voltmeter.

anywhere between 12 and 13.5 iirc across the battery when running

Sorry to sound silly.

But is it safe enough to attach a multimeter to the battery terminals and take a voltage reading when engine is running and alternator is charging battery ?

RS mk2 172
Car now back to normal, replaced the alternator on Sunday.
I have served many years in the motor trade and can honestly say that this was possibly the worst experience in 20 years doing this normally routine job because of limited space and bad design.

RS mk2 172
Sorry nearly back to normal! Just noticed the rear dampers both weeping after being replaced 5000 miles ago and skipping round bends but thankfully they are indeed 5 minute jobs.

lol! Same thing has happened on my 172!Tad different though. Picked it up at the weekend. 1st time out today in the rain in it. Get 2/3 of the way to work and all the lights come on.

Serv, stop, batt, abs, traction, c/c, gear change light. Radio goes off and then comes back on.Pull in switch the engine off. Engine wouldnt start again. AA out within 30 mins. Excellent guy. Puts a multi meter on the battery. Only 11v on it and its not getting anything off the alternator. It should have 14v! Doesnt sound much but its enough to screw the electrics up.

Fits replacement battery in and then follows me to the garage it came from.Its there now having the alternator replaced. I've been having the electrical burning smell too. I put it down to a new exhaust.Serves me right for wanting one of these for the last 18 months!

Typical! The 172 replaced my wifes 1.2 because it was getting old and tired. I was worried about it breaking down. Not once did I have to get the AA out in 3 years and 60,000 miles. 6 days in a 172 with 30k on the clock and its already fucked!

Clio 182 cup
The joys of motoring ay...!! Ye, I had the flashing light syndrome as well, but just limped it home! Oh well, they are all the same, had a TT before this which was even worse!! :S

Mondeo TDCI 130
Car now back to normal, replaced the alternator on Sunday.
I have served many years in the motor trade and can honestly say that this was possibly the worst experience in 20 years doing this normally routine job because of limited space and bad design.

The joys of the renault sport!!!:clown: