ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

El cheapo Springo

Rs200
yoyoyo

im ganna be budget here... seeing as i will eventually get coilys whats peoples opinions on cutting springs? ive never done it before and i need to lower my car so whats the harm??

Jap Box
Stupid thing to do, more risk of it popping out under stress etc, their designed to contract in a certain way, when cutting them it changes the way it will contract. Pretty unsafe and a council estate thing to do.

Why not just wait a bit for coilovers?

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
MOT failure, won't be covered by insurance, springs won't see properly. Just down right dangerous.

Astra gsi turbo
Need to lower it ? Just chop a little bit of each spring. You may go round a corner and jump of the road but at least you saved money

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
This is like when people said about heating springs to lower a car, then they shatter! Don't do this!!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Is Margate to far away from Edinburgh to drive down, slap some sense into you and drive home again? Im 50/50 tbh. For the avoidance of doubt, NO!

Ph2 Clio 172
Need to lower your car? Unless you live the other side of an incredibly low bridge, why would anyone ever need to lower a car?

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Balls. Saw. Rather. Off.

Rearrange.

You can buy springs for buttons then sell them on. No point scrimping.

Ged

PD130 Peach
Someone once said to me, "cutting springs is completely fine...As long as you do it right!"

I did lol... Dont cut springs, iv seen them pop through the strut top due to not seating right...

Rs200
never said i was doing it i asked for opinions.. i dont want to do it but i was unsure of the harm as ive had 50/50 responses. if anyone is refering to me as a pikey for asking a general question and or wanting to 'slap sense into me' feel free to try :butt:

1995 Renault Clio 1.8 16v
never said i was doing it i asked for opinions.. i dont want to do it but i was unsure of the harm as ive had 50/50 responses. if anyone is refering to me as a pikey for asking a general question and or wanting to 'slap sense into me' feel free to try :butt:

Yh fair enough mate but to even consider it is a bad thing, ha. Hopefully now though you'll see it's not a good idea, but for the 50% response which said its fine, they really are pikeys..!

Rs200
i dont know if i can justify buying coilys on the 5 door tho. unless they would fot a 3 door at a later date cos i will get a 3 door at somepoint

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Just swap them onto the 3 door surely?! And Apex 60mm springs used to be huge on here, bet you could still find a set for proper cheap

Rs200
good point, ill have a shout out for some springs for now cos it really looks like a 4x4 and the bolt spacing on the hub?