ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Effects of increasing wheel size

1.2 16V Dynamique
Morning guys,

I've been thinking of buying some new alloys due to buckling and curbing on my stock ones. I've been looking at 17" wheels, along the lines of Wolfrace Triads or Dezent Motions, and also at some 16" wheels.

However, I've been reading various posts saying that they would rub, which I assume would happen even though I know the overall size and width doesn't change a great deal. I'm using the car most days and doing alot of motorway driving, yet still want to fill the arches.

Any help on this would be amazing :) Enjoy your weekend guys.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
17s will be heavier, make the car slower due to increased circumference (I'm, assuming you're rocking 14s or 15s at the moment ?), will look like a 4x4 if you dont lower it, and it will tram line line hell !

there's not many clios that can pull off 17s ...

16s if you have to, but get it lowered or it will look hilarious. Doesn't have to be scraping the sump low, obviously ;)

Fabia VRS Special Ed
Also it is certain that your speedo will be out, unless you match the tyre sizes accordingly etc.

Joe#

ClioSport Club Member
i've got 17" wolfraces on mine and they was rubbing when i first put them on. I removed the mud guards and then it was fine :) As mentioned above 16's are better performance wise but to be honest its a 1.2 so it dosen't matter really as long as it looks the part.

Westy. MX5
If you have been scraping your rims on kerbs now you'll be having even more damage with 17' wheels. Learn to drive without scrapping them 1st.

Stripped yozza'd cup
I was going to say, if they sell it in halfords, it's s**t. But they seem to have upped their game a bit recently. My local one now stocks o.z Ultraleggeras!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
even though you try and match the sizes, 17s will still come out much bigger,
i had 17s on 205/40/17 and it looked awful, very high and bad,
and the brakes will looks swamped behind them!

tyres are a joke, a bottom of the barrel budget will cost around 50,
where as 195/50/15, 50 can get you some mid range performance tyres.

increase in unsprung weight will put more stress on your driveshafts, and make you car a lot slower,

wolfrace wheels are terribly made, out of very bad alloys and therefore very heavy.

go for 15s with a nice drop, look through the photos of people on here if you need proof that 17s look horrible on a clio,

dont make my mistake dude, i bought 17s, had them for a year, hated them, bought some 15s and couldnt even GIVE my 17s away!!

people say "its only a 1.2 no point going for performance", but a good set of tyres, and suspension, and youll have loads of fun throwing such a light car into bends! i sure as hell did!

Stripped yozza'd cup
:eek:

They'll be the latest chav trend next :dapprove:

This was my worry... I'm just hoping they're expensive enough to price out the chavs.

Op, Listen to struggler mate. You can buy some second hand 15's in good condition AND buy some cheap coilovers for the same money as a set of 17's. Surely that's a winner?

1.2 16V Dynamique
Hey again guys,

Thanks for all the advice. You'll be glad to know that I haven't gone for the Wolfrace, or 17s. I decided to go for the 16 TSR or TSW, depending on what you want to call them, druids - Multispoke which are 0.4% different on the overall size, so barely any difference in speed readings. Managed to grab some Yokos for them too, so all in all pretty damn pleased :)

Shall be putting some pics up of what i've been up to soon :)

1.2 16V Dynamique
Hey again guys,

Thanks for all the advice. You'll be glad to know that I haven't gone for the Wolfrace, or 17s. I decided to go for the 16 TSR or TSW, depending on what you want to call them, druids - Multispoke which are 0.4% different on the overall size, so barely any difference in speed readings. Managed to grab some Yokos for them too, so all in all pretty damn pleased :)

Shall be putting some pics up of what i've been up to soon :)