ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU Location: Quick question quick answer

1.2 16v Dynamique
Noob question, where would I find the ECU on my 2002 Clio 1.2, at the back of the engine I've read but no specific location, what's easiest way to find it?

Thank you and sorry!

Matt

big boost cup
TBF if you cant find that with out help. then i wouldnt touch it when you find it.
Its a black box with a metal cover and wires coming out of it its next to the battery on a 172

1.2 16v Dynamique
All I want to do is check if the glue has got on the pins, after looking at threads I believe it is at the back of the engine like shepperdspie says. There are fuses by the battery but I don't believe the ECU is by the battery on my particular model? I've taken a look and nothing is jumping out lol, I apologise in advance, you must be laughing on the other end!

1.2 16v Dynamique
Okay I'll take a look tomorrow, thanks for you're help guys. Easiest way to get at it: Underneath the car or downwards through the bonnet?

Megane dci 130
Through the bonnet. There will be a metal anti tamper cage over it. Somtimes they just pull off, other times they need the little wheel turning at the back to release them.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Right, took a look today. I'm really sorry about this, but could I ask you guys to be patient, this may be amusing for you but I assure you it's more embarrassing for me lol...

Basically my car goes into limp and has 3 codes stored, if you need more info it can be found here... (http://goo.gl/b9ees) I just want to check the ECU pins before I get a garage to check it as I know they will try and mug me off, I want to have an idea what the fault is before I go in. There is no security cage around what I was looking at but Ive taken pictures and the pins look fine, am I looking at the right thing? I can't see anything else with a cage around it or anything at the back of the engine...

IMG_0726.jpg

IMG_0728.jpg

IMG_0730.jpg

1.2 16v Dynamique
That's what I thought, couldn't see any security cage or ECU from the top, maybe I need to go from underneath...

IMG_0732.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

Megane dci 130
the 1st picture in post 12 is the injection ECU. They are the who connectors for the computer.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Right I see, they aren't the connectors that would have pins covered though would they? I took a look at them and they're fine!

I spoke to a mechanic friend who works for Honda and he said check the water level first, more than likely the sensors are quite high up in the water so if the water is low, they'll over heat. I bled the water and refilled it, took it round the block 5 times, filling it up every time as the reservoir was empty every time i parked up, is that normal for the system to take that much water refills?

IMG_0738.jpg

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0736.jpg

1.2 16v Dynamique
Okay cool, so the common ECU pin problem you get on the clios, isit on those two connectors i looked at or am I looking at the wrong ones?

BMW M135i
Its nothing to do with the connectors, its the actual wiring loom where the anti tamper cover (which yours hasn't got fitted) cuts through it.

Whats the actual problem here? You've totally lost me.

1.2 16v Dynamique
Ah right I see. Basically a few months ago the car kept going into limo mode, had a new pedal fitted but that only fixed it for 2 weeks or so. I had the codes read which pulled were...

P0136 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0225 - TPS/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch C Circuit Malfunction
P0115 - Engine Coolant Temp Circuit Malfunction

After reading around the ECU wiring loom seemed to be a strong candidate as to why it is happening, or the Lambda sensor. Now the car had no tax, insurance or mot, i want to try and get it fixed, or at least get an idea what is wrong before I out it into a garage! Any ideas? If I were to change the lambda, would it be the one at the back of the engine bay or after the cat nearer the back of car?

106GTI / NovaC20LET
Pre cat, the second one just tells the ecu something is wrong. Try swapping them over wheb my cup developed a misfire I simply swapped them and it sorted my rough running issues for a fair bit till the second one finally failed to

1.2 16v Dynamique
I see, the problem here is that the fault is intermittent... I used to drive to my destination, then it used to fail on me on the return journey... I've driven it around my street on a private road and it seems fine, but can't go any further due to no cover etc... I'm looking to change the lambda anyway, but I was kind of hoping it was the ECU because the glue on the pins I would physically be able to see. What would you guys recommend I do?