ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ebay matched inlets - any good?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Matched inlets makes very little difference. I just can't see why anyone would pay over 200 quid for a set personally.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I got mine matched about six years ago after reading such posts. I expected to notice a small difference, as 8 hp is about 5%. It felt no different. Taken as a package with supporting changes, improved flowing exhaust, decat and a remap (plus a healthy engine etc) then a 5 - 8 hp might be possible. My Ph1 went up from 165 to 173 with all those changes (and some more) so I can't see a matched inlet doing that on its own.

BG Clio 182 FF
I got mine matched about six years ago after reading such posts. I expected to notice a small difference, as 8 hp is about 5%. It felt no different. Taken as a package with supporting changes, improved flowing exhaust, decat and a remap (plus a healthy engine etc) then a 5 - 8 hp might be possible. My Ph1 went up from 165 to 173 with all those changes (and some more) so I can't see a matched inlet doing that on its own.

I'll give it a try I think. Already have 197 cams, full decat exhaust and ktr style induction kit. Map will be fiddled with once the inlets have been done. Every little helps I guess.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Go for it! They do at least look nicely finished. If you can, take a trip to Surrey Rolling Road afterwards for a reliable rolling road test. Would be good to see what it makes.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
With 197 cams and assuming it's been set up correctly timing wise then it should be more than 182. It would be good to get a reliable power graph after spending so much, it's only another £40 plus fuel to Farnborough.

BG Clio 182 FF
I was thinking of going to Powerstation. Not too far from Dan at SJM. Not sure what the rollers are like for accuracy there though?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I've always used SRR so it would be worth asking someone like Dan about Powerstation.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
There is NO point doing a rolling road run to see what gains you have made unless you do a before and after both on the same set of rollers, after alone is utterly useless.

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Every single set of matched inlets we have tested before and after have given no gains, some even lost power!

BG Clio 182 FF
Every single set of matched inlets we have tested before and after have given no gains, some even lost power!

Were the cars remapped in between tests? I agree it would be pretty pointless without mapping to suit - but can't see how improved breathing would lower power if the cars been mapped to suit?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Were the cars remapped in between tests? I agree it would be pretty pointless without mapping to suit - but can't see how improved breathing would lower power if the cars been mapped to suit?

Improved breathing?
Is it though?

Get a 40mm tube and breathe through it.
Now get a 50mm tube and do the same.

Are you feeling fitter with the 50mm tube, or are both way bigger than you need compared to the size of your windpipe?

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR

The car wouldn't need mapping to see if there was a gain, more air into these means more power, the only conclusive test would be to do it on the same map, no variables then.

BG Clio 182 FF
The car wouldn't need mapping to see if there was a gain, more air into these means more power, the only conclusive test would be to do it on the same map, no variables then.

Wouldn't it run lean without the fuelling being adjusted? I'm not baiting by the way, everyday's a school day.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Wouldn't it run lean without the fuelling being adjusted? I'm not baiting by the way, everyday's a school day.

yes, if there was a significant change in airflow, it would lean out, but being a bit leaner with more airflow would make more power from the same amount of fuel, so as paul says it would show a change in power if it actually flowed more air, then you would of course remap to suit, but what he is saying is that when people fit these there is no change and hence no map needed, it still makes the same power it did as it still flows the same air it did.

BG Clio 182 FF
yes, if there was a significant change in airflow, it would lean out, but being a bit leaner with more airflow would make more power from the same amount of fuel, so as paul says it would show a change in power if it actually flowed more air, then you would of course remap to suit, but what he is saying is that when people fit these there is no change and hence no map needed, it still makes the same power it did as it still flows the same air it did.

Aha, understand. Think i'll give matched inlets a miss. If you and RS tuning agree that's it's pointless then i'm sold. I'll spend the money on refreshing the suspension instead.

I would recommend doing the inlets if the head is done at the same time as they respond well to head work

On there own its not really worth it, i will do them if people ask me but only with the head now

Clio 172
I recently had my head skimmed, ported, polished and had the inlets matched (cam belt skipped and a mate sorted a good price for the head work) and have to say the only difference I have found is that it is a bit revvier.

After it was done, I fit a decat pipe and the difference that just the pipe made was awesome.

If I was you, I would get your suspension and brakes sorted and take it on the track. You will benefit more from learning how to drive fast and brake properly than spending a lot of money making a car fast that you cant make fast without spending a lot of money.....

#justsaying lol

BG Clio 182 FF
I recently had my head skimmed, ported, polished and had the inlets matched (cam belt skipped and a mate sorted a good price for the head work) and have to say the only difference I have found is that it is a bit revvier.

After it was done, I fit a decat pipe and the difference that just the pipe made was awesome.

If I was you, I would get your suspension and brakes sorted and take it on the track. You will benefit more from learning how to drive fast and brake properly than spending a lot of money making a car fast that you cant make fast without spending a lot of money.....

#justsaying lol

No problem mate, all opinions welcome. TBH i'm going to listen the advice i've been given and it's something i'm going to skip. I agree that my money would be better spent elsewhere.

Thanks everybody for the replies. Much appreciated.