ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Easiest way to unlock an Iphone 4?

Audi A5
Evening chaps,

Just wondering if anyone knows of any ways to unlock iphone 4's?

I've got two that will need unlocking one from orange and one from vodaphone, both wanting to go on giffgaff.

I've rang a couple phone shops and their saying the the original owner of the phone has to get in touch with the network to get them unlocked but with one this isn't an option.

So i was wondering if theirs any other options?

Does jailbreaking unlock them? and if so can anyone recommend a safe and easy one.

Cheers Bobby.

Audi A5
Vodafone do it for free for you if you're in contract or PAYG

http://campaigns.vodafone.co.uk/UnlockCodeRequestForm/

i did see that. unfortunately we dont use voda, but ive sent that link to the person who we bought it so they might be able to do that.

Buy an orange PAYG sim, and a voda one, put 10£ credit on both, phone up networks and ask they're unlocked. I think that works

im on orange atm, contracts nearly up. surly they wont unlock the phone though if im not the original owner?

Audi A5
yes but was that the original phone you started with? the iphone in question i bought second hand from someone i will never see again.

LY 200 & 265 Trophy
Yes you can unlock a 4 via jailbreak HOWEVER it either has to have the old bootrom (highly unlikely) or baseband 01.59.00 which would require the phone to be on iOS 4.0 or been updated whilst preserving its baseband in which case it will be jailbroken already but again I would say its highly unlikely.

Audi A5
looks like that wont be an option then, im on ios 6.1.3

Think i might just sell the phone and pick one up for the same price on 02 (giffgaff use the 02 network)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, if you have the right baseband, you can unlock via jailbreak. You can't do it with other basebands though.

I've currently been waiting a month and a half for Orange to unlock my phone.

Audi A5
Yeah, if you have the right baseband, you can unlock via jailbreak. You can't do it with other basebands though.

I've currently been waiting a month and a half for Orange to unlock my phone.

is the baseband the 'modem firmware'? if so ive got 04.12.05

i found that is setting> general> about.

LY 200 & 265 Trophy
Yes, but you can't jailbreak 6.1.3 anyway.

Otherwise I'd have suggested you try hacktivate for nothing but I'm not 100% if you can after a new iOS is released as apple only sign current blobs now. Anyway that's irrelevant now.

iOS 7 is in beta 3, it may be that it can be unlocked then as one of the derv team has a big thing up his sleeve but won't say what it is for obvious reasons.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its not a proper unlock anyway. The only way to do it is using a network to get them to instruct apple to unlock it.

Heez

ClioSport Club Member
  Superleggera'd Bean
Easiest way,

Get a PAYG sim for both phones. Obviously the correct networks.
Put credit it on it.
Make some chargeable calls.
Phone them up and ask to unlock the phone.

As far as I know that phone is now linked to your new SIM card and in the eyes of their computer screens you are the owner of the phone.

Audi A5
Hmmm I see, so really with the orange one I won't have to waste a tenner getting credit as I've been using the phone for 6 months or so on my contract. Surly that will show the people at orange I'm the owner?

LY 200 & 265 Trophy
It was put to buy a payg sim and get them to unlock it ages ago.

If you are ready on orange ring them up and ask them to unlock it. You can try argue with them its your phone and you have paid for it in full via your contract that has expired and you want it unlocking for free. Chances are it will cost you £15-£20 and eventually you will get a text/email saying you have done it and to plug it into iTunes where you will have a carrier settings update.

O2 you simply fill in a form on the web and it takes around 24 hours which is totally free. Sadly everyone else wants to rip you off.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Easiest way,

Get a PAYG sim for both phones. Obviously the correct networks.
Put credit it on it.
Make some chargeable calls.
Phone them up and ask to unlock the phone.

As far as I know that phone is now linked to your new SIM card and in the eyes of their computer screens you are the owner of the phone.

Doesn't work like that. At least not with orange anyway. Has to be the person who originally registered the phone. Gets charged to thm too.