ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

eagle f1 gs-d3, twitchy???

172 Cup
I had my tyres changed last week, for some eagles, and can't help to notice how sharp the handling is, and it can actually be quite unnerving - I have just come up the duely from work, and I lifted off the noise pedal just after overtaking somebody, also going around a bend, felt the back want to go, and the front wanted to come in, its happened a few times, and lately I've really had to be on the ball.

This didnt happen with my old tyres under such circumstances.
I also have had the tracking done, maybe somethings wrong? anybody else get this?

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Done much miles on them? Seem to remember mine needing a while to get past the slippery surface.

IIRC, they were always a bit twitchy though, more so than PE2s, but I was running 195/45/16 all round now I run 205 on the rear to give the back end a bit more stability.

145db Euro'd clio
Try dropping your tyre pressures a bit - especially the rears.

This, and also when i got my T1R's fitted, i found myself facing the other way on a roundabout, after about 2 days of driving they made the car handle like it was on rails. they relly do have a slippery surface on the top.

Nippy white cup
What are the side walls like on the F1's. I remember years back I replaced my contis with some rainsports and it felt like it was floating and very loose. The side walls were a lot softer than the contis and this was making a big difference

Chris

172 Cup
sidewalls seem quite soft.. this might be a factor but, ive never heard of gsd3's wanting to swap a car around.

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Depending on how you drive/ where you drive it can take a while to scrub them in.

Also as said above, drop the rear tyre pressure a couple PSI, worked for me.

53 Clio's & counting
Although i run 195/50/15's, i find the G/years to be a little unnerving until they have bedded in, iv been running them for 40,000 miles (not the same tyres obv lol)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mine feel ok, as said check the pressures as it's likely the fitters will have put 40+ psi in them! 33F 31R is about right for a cup.

182 FF
I had my tyres changed last week, for some eagles, and can't help to notice how sharp the handling is, and it can actually be quite unnerving - I have just come up the duely from work, and I lifted off the noise pedal just after overtaking somebody, also going around a bend, felt the back want to go, and the front wanted to come in, its happened a few times, and lately I've really had to be on the ball.

This didnt happen with my old tyres under such circumstances.
I also have had the tracking done, maybe somethings wrong? anybody else get this?

Lift off oversteer anyone? Its why I drive a sh**box clio afterall ;) My cup was the same on std suspension but putting coilovers on has reduced it a fair bit and I used to run eagles all round. Its no good for the life of your tyres but try 25psi up front and 35psi in the rears I think it feels spot on

Golf GT & A4 Avant
Lift off oversteer anyone? Its why I drive a sh**box clio afterall ;) My cup was the same on std suspension but putting coilovers on has reduced it a fair bit and I used to run eagles all round. Its no good for the life of your tyres but try 25psi up front and 35psi in the rears I think it feels spot on

Why??? please explain. I would have thought it be the other way round.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I found with the eagles, the first 30% of the grip was twitchy as hell, but after that fine. But never gave me confidence in them.

120d M Sport
I've found the often praised Hankook v12 evo's to be a little twitchy and not the greatest in the wet...

That said, have you only just had them fitted? When I first had four new Toyo Proxes fitted to my Clio, I chucked it round a roundabout to test them out, lifted off a bit and the back end stepped out! After they'd been given say 150 miles or so, I don't recall that happening again after.

330Ci (Fail)Sport

Fooking hell! That's some difference! Turn in must be crisp but back end lively much?

172 Cup
Checked my psi's today, was 34 back 32 front... might try 30/30, thats what i used before, but if i let too much out by accident i'm stuffed because they air'd me up with nitrogen, and i aint got none of that.
Can i mix it with air from a petrol station if i go too low and dont like the handling???

182 FF
Why??? please explain. I would have thought it be the other way round.

I just experimented on track days and went by feel. The front tyres do get hotter though and prob raise by a few psi so maybe 28/35 on the road is worth a try. Redline mag did a feature on it with a Renaultsport Twingo a few months back and they concluded that it was'nt the fastest round a track, it was the most predictable and FUN which is always top priority for me. Plus they backed it up with evidence which is a lot better than the 95% conjecture on forums.. haha only kidding