ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E85 3.0 Z4 Roadster Project

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Kev, if I were to de-tago, I'd go for the clear side indicators too.

Rhys and duck, new headlights are well over £500, so yes, expensive.

If I get bored over the summer I may do it myself. Is it wrong that if I had them apart I'd want to do the angel eye mod loads of people have done? It looks awesome, and it is a BMW...

Z4
I certainly wouldn't be going down the angel eye route, Alan would have a stroke!

Its a massive shame you don't have xenons, that's the road I would be going down if I were you. De-ginger the fronts/sides/rears for a much fresher look as that's the only thing dating the car IMO.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I certainly wouldn't be going down the angel eye route, Alan would have a stroke!

Its a massive shame you don't have xenons, that's the road I would be going down if I were you. De-ginger the fronts/sides/rears for a much fresher look as that's the only thing dating the car IMO.

Let me find the pics of the recent install someone did, really quite subtle.

I'll be retro-fitting xenons as they're projector lenses, I just won't have the washers (oh well). Just need to find a kit I'm confident in.

Very wrong. Saying that I've not seen it before. Pics? (headlights please, nothing blue.)

Gimmie a minute.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Here we are:

Before:

large_plate.jpg

After:

DSCN2258.jpg

DSCN2355.jpg

DSCN2356.jpg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Why not just buy Hids Rob? You have projector bulbs so the beam pattern is perfect, just make sure they're beam set correctly.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I will Kev. Just need to find out what kits are decent etc first then I'll invest.

I just really like the look of that conversion.

I need to do something with the headlights anyway as I need to have the front bumper off and get everything lined up properly. At the moment the panel gaps around the headlight area aren't even enough for me.

What brightness is generally the best to go for 4300k? 5000k? 6000k?

Last edited:

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
4300k is the standard yellowly colour, 5000k is white(ish) and 6000k has a tint of blue but not a chavvy amount, I put 6000k in the clio and they were great.. Any higher than 6000k and your going blue

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
6000k is bang on xenon look mate. No Blue. Ask me an 'Topher, we know best. I've had 2 sets now. Spot on and piss easy to fit.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Cheers northerners. I'll go 6000k from HID's direct with the slim ballasts as apparently they're probably easier to hide away?

Unless anyone has any other ideas of course...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yours is folding hard top then Alan? That's awesome!!! You need to take me for a spin some time soon?

Thanks for all the nice comments, I can't believe you actually like it dan!!

Anyway, centre caps here, quick pic or two:

9824243c.jpg

0327a8f5.jpg

MUCH better!!!

White clique
Yeah i'll deffo take you out for a rip, lets do it during the summer when we have this great weather, i'm up in Bluewater every few weeks so let me know. The roof is a folder, vid below, the back window stage at the end is my fave!

Last edited by a moderator:
  White clique
That looks proper awesome mate, transformer-esque!

What box option have you gone for?

Its the same as my old coupe, so a 3.0 auto (sdrive 30i) with paddle shift. Its got 2 sports settings, so sport and sport + , sport plus also switches off traction and does some other stuff that i havent got a clue about!

Corsa Van. Meh.
Looks awesome Rob. As per PM we are going to look at a couple this weekend for the mrs.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's a lot of £££ to sort out the lights as I want them really.

De-orange the front ££££
Clean indicator discs for the sides £
Facelift style home made rear lights ££

Add up all those £'s and you've got a lot of money I haven't got at the moment.

I think I'll spend some money servicing it, then think about some more mods in a month or two, you're right though, the facelift style lights etc look much nicer.

That picture converted me. Converted me so much I went to look at them on PistonHeads :eek:

LOL, TBH for the money they're brilliant.

Not awfully expensive, everyone thinks you're some sort of rich kid, goes like stink, doesn't use too much fuel, isn't fortunes to service and even reasonable to insure (about the same as the 172). Oh and not to mention pretty well spec'd inside.

The only expensive part on these cars is the tyres.

Let my brother drive it (he's only been driving 9 months) the other night, was frightening but he really enjoyed it. Couldn't believe how much different it is to drive something that really shifts when you put your foot down. (He has a 1.6 civic).

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
TBH its not a big deal, the car looks great as is.

I think i prefer the satin chrome grills

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yeah it's not, and for the money involved I'm unsure if it's worth it. At the moment I prefer the grills as is, based upon a like for like picture anyway, looks a bit meaner.

Just went out for a drive to get lunch, just because it's so nice. I'm actually in love with this car.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Have you got waterproofs for the trackday?

Waders mate.

im glad this is being looked after :)

I'm glad I bought it! Proper love this car.

Whats it go like Rob? 230 ish bhp?

Very well mate, feels a damn lot faster than the 172 that's for sure, whether it actually is or not, who knows.

It's about 230bhp yeah, which feels more than adequate, the power is just always there! Turn sport mode on and the responsiveness is improved so much, I really didn't think a little button could make that much difference.

It handles brilliantly and the back is surprisingly controllable. 100% my favourite car to date.

You're welcome to have a go after Llandow or something?

I'd quite like to see this, as I'm sold on the looks, just not on the engine (M please).

Considering the quite frankly astounding difference in terms of numbers of "soft top days" to the North, a soft top would actually make sense for me at the moment.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
The engine is amazing, quiet when just bubbling along, epic sound when pressing on, very resposnive and quite torquey.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've got a hose in the back garden that I run through the house (the joys of living with no parents, get away with murder)

Feel free to come to me, there's a few decent enough roads within reach, we can have a bit of a blast whenever you're free.

I don't really do booking things up (too forgetful) so I'm always about if you give me a bit of notice.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
I've got a hose in the back garden that I run through the house (the joys of living with no parents, get away with murder)

Feel free to come to me, there's a few decent enough roads within reach, we can have a bit of a blast whenever you're free.

I don't really do booking things up (too forgetful) so I'm always about if you give me a bit of notice.

Are you about on Saturday so we can check the brakes out btw oh and fit those hoses? JD you'd be welcome down there too, use the hose then abuse the Z around the lanes.

Also those wheels Rob, is monday evening good for you. The Z is going to look awesome on those wheels!