ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E46 M3 Vs New M5

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
PMSL @ Tom, but he speaketh the truth.

Its a great bit of kit tho, some of the stuff they have done with that engine is amazing.
Far more advanced than F1.

(assuming you tried to fit a current f1 engine to a car)

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Added a few for comparison.

Porsche Carrera GT - 7:32.44) (road car world record)
Zonda - 7:44
GT3 RS - 7:47
M3 CSL - 7:50
E60 M5 - 8:13
E39 M5 - 8:28
M3 (smg) - 8:35
Lotus Exige - 8:42

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
CSL is SMG too.

Tyres make a big difference.

World car record is held by donkervoort.

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Donkervoort R8 isnt it?

Beat the carrera gt's btg time by 15 seconds or so.

Yeah, our own radical destroyed that time even further, but because it wasn't running german plates its not the record holder.

(Yes i was humming jerusalem while i typed that)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
M5 is the daddy.
Theres a vid on the M5board from germany somewhere on youtug and its got 2 standard cars.Being the new M5 and the current RS4 and the M5 kicks ass.
They base it on rolling starts from 20-100 mph and 50-120mph and so on

ian

Breaking A 172 Replica
I have never driven either of them but I think I would go for the M3 CSL at the moment as it is a bit younger and cooler I think.

Sam

Megane 225 Cup
I have a 3-series and granted its no m3 I still do not say what im about to say lightly.

an e46 m3 has chance of beating an e60 m5, purely because of the BHP difference, i have no idea on the figures of the to come e60 m3.. we will have to see.

Megane 225 Cup
I have never driven either of them but I think I would go for the M3 CSL at the moment as it is a bit younger and cooler I think.

Sam

So would i... what do you care if its that bit slower.. more time for people to see you :approve:

Im soo vain.

MCS R56
I reckon M3 v M5 would be a fairly close contest on a tight track, like Tsukuba for example. I've seen a race where the M3 comes a close 3rd against an Evo and Ferrari 360.

Inferno 182 w/ Recaros ;)
The thing is the M3 is a 911 beater, and the M5 is obviously faster than an M3, I wonder if it would do a 997 Turbo? I doubt it.

I just love the fact that the M3 is quicker than a 996 911. :D

The thing is the M3 is a 911 beater, and the M5 is obviously faster than an M3, I wonder if it would do a 997 Turbo? I doubt it.

I'd wager the very early 3.4s, but the 3.6 carrera 2 and carrera 4 hmm, I wouldnt say the M3 is quicker.

Leon Cupra 300
M5's quicker than the 996 turbo, and no toto much slower that the 997 turbo... How can you say the 9978 turbo is in a different league when its still running less power!

Leon Cupra 300
To give you an idea of how quick the M5 is here is a speedo vid i did when my mate brought one round for a play...

th_M5fun.jpg

M5's quicker than the 996 turbo, and no toto much slower that the 997 turbo... How can you say the 9978 turbo is in a different league when its still running less power!

Three words

Power to weight.

997 turbo can hit a standing ton in nigh on 8 dead and go onto virtually 200mph.

Standard M5 cannot do that.

MCS R56
^^^ lol wouldnt you like to know, nosy sh1t ;)

Dont get me wrong i know the 997 turbo is rapido etc but its just not a different league, specially when rolling!

I cant find the rite vid but heres a 997 turbo vs a tuned M5, prob up 30hp on std M5

The 997 turbo puts up figures not far off a Carrera GT. M5 is a fast car but it's a four door saloon. You can kid yourself all you want, overall, an M5 is not in the same league as a 911 Turbo.

You will have seen the 997 take the Gallardo from 50mph then?! Or this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF5YoAz67DM

182FF c/w Recaros

I'd wager the very early 3.4s, but the 3.6 carrera 2 and carrera 4 hmm, I wouldnt say the M3 is quicker.

My neighbours have both. She has the M3 and he has a 996 (think) C4.

Not much in it according to him but the 911 needs more work (less torque?) then the M3.

I don't think he'd let his Mrs have a faster car than him anyway :D so i'd be surprised if the M3 was quicker.

Car Mags have the 0-60/100 times being pretty similar (5 secs and 12).

Leon Cupra 300
Still cant call it a different league to the M5 though, its fairly close.. a different league to the 997 would be the fezza 599 gtb, thats the next step up IN MY OPINION ;)

MCS R56
Fair enough. 599 is a nice piece of kit! I guess I just like Porsche more than any other cars. The 911 price for what you get is pretty amazing. I wouldn't ever turn down an M though. Always liked the M Coupe.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
(E46) M3 is a bit slower than a Ferrari 360
(E60) M5 is a lot faster than a Ferrari 360
Lamborghini Gallardo is quicker off the line than an M5, and slightly slower rolling.
996 911 Turbo annihilates the Gallardo from a stand and rolling..

You do the math.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
(E46) M3 is a bit slower than a Ferrari 360
(E60) M5 is a lot faster than a Ferrari 360
Lamborghini Gallardo is quicker off the line than an M5, and slightly slower rolling.
996 911 Turbo annihilates the Gallardo from a stand and rolling..

You do the math.

:S