ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E36 328i Sport

Mine is nikasil, had a full BMW test in 2001 and reported all clear with even compression tests over all cylinders.

Runs sweet as a nut with 65k on the clock.

If its been checked and all is clear, dont let it put you off.

Saner - the Dave F is basically a K&N cone filter and a heat shield, i got the K&N gen 2 kit at a silly price from work and it made such a difference to the attitude of the car. Find one. This instant.

BMW 330ci sp/ 172Cup
Nikasil can still bite you later on in the cars life. My brothers failed at around 100k. A real simple test is to open drivers door and let car idle. If window vibrates have a closer look at engine and oil usage etc.

DaveF is a common mod but fitting a modified inlet manifold from a 325 (328 runs a 2.0 manifold as standard) and bored throttle body yield great results. Filter and above, plus map should see 230 bhp for not much cash.
Search Alpina527 for the manifolds on bmowner site

OP - lovely looking example in a desirable colour :)

I can testify to the m50 manifold making a drastic change.

Took the plunge on an Alpina527 M50 kit with a big bore throttle body and big bore ASC throttle body, and it was worth every penny.

Suddenly the power keeps coming when you go past 4.5k.

Great mod for the money.

172, Tiguan
With the aluminium block it makes them lighter than the m3. With the m50 the power to weight isnt worlds apart.

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Thanks Cr33do.

Tom, I will look into the induction kits. How much did your manifold kit cost? I find mine pulls like a train above 4,5k, its sluggish before that!

Luke, Comfy. No way I could do 130 miles a day even in a standard clio RS!

The chap that produces them, sells the kit I have for £410 delivered. I got a silly deal from a chap that had bought the kit and never fitted it.

It almost sounds like you already have the m50 manifold but i dont expect you do. Be prepared for a shock then when you find out how much the character of the car changes with the kit.

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Nice looking car - love that colour.

I see there is one on Autotrader @ the mo. I must resist looking on there!

After seeing all these 328is Ive decided to get one. One thing that is bugging me is the fact that they only have 194 bhp? For the mpg Ill get and the insurance price Im tempted to get a kitted 318. Can anyone persuade me not to?

53 Clio's & counting
With the weight of the car, a 318 will end up around 30 mpg - which is what you get with a 325/328 - and this is coming from experience (ex-318is coupe owner)

I drive flat out a lot surely there will be a difference between 328 and 318? If there isn't anything in it Id have a 328 because of the noise. The 318 is only 200 quid cheaper on insurance aswell.

The violet one on PH is dieing to be bought by me but I cant sell my passat! 1400 quid takes it! I need monies!!

Spend a couple of hundred quid on the M50 manifold conversion if your after more power Marco.

The e36 328i's were purposely strangled from the factory back in the late 90's in order to sneak under the 194bhp insurance limit (hence the 193 figure). They did this by fitting a ridiculously small inlet manifold from the 320 that doesnt flow anywhere near the cars breathing potential. This is why the 328's only generate 1 more bhp than the old 325i's despite the increase in discplacement. All you do is buy an inlet manifold from a 325, and an adaptor kit, or just get the job lot from a chap on the forums called Alpina527, they then bolt straight on and you instantly get somewhere in the region of 20-25 bhp up at the top end.

Not bad for circa £300. You've got to spend £2k on an RS2 manifold to get near those gains on a clio.

Throw in a big bore throttle body and an induction kit (the oem airbox is relatively restrictive to keep noise down) and you'll be hovering around the 220-230bhp mark. More than enough for some RWD fun if you poke it with a stick once the traction control is off.

A very worthwhile mod indeed.

53 Clio's & counting
I drive flat out a lot surely there will be a difference between 328 and 318? If there isn't anything in it Id have a 328 because of the noise. The 318 is only 200 quid cheaper on insurance aswell.

Well you shouldnt be driving flat out alot - stupid thing to do.

Anyway, yes the 318 will be slightly better on fuel, but no where near as much as you think.

Well you shouldnt be driving flat out alot - stupid thing to do.

Anyway, yes the 318 will be slightly better on fuel, but no where near as much as you think.
I don't do many miles and mostly drive when no-one is around. Nearest town is 20 miles away :(

I think ill go for a 328 then and get a proper manifold put on it.

Spend a couple of hundred quid on the M50 manifold conversion if your after more power Marco.

The e36 328i's were purposely strangled from the factory back in the late 90's in order to sneak under the 194bhp insurance limit (hence the 193 figure). They did this by fitting a ridiculously small inlet manifold from the 320 that doesnt flow anywhere near the cars breathing potential. This is why the 328's only generate 1 more bhp than the old 325i's despite the increase in discplacement. All you do is buy an inlet manifold from a 325, and an adaptor kit, or just get the job lot from a chap on the forums called Alpina527, they then bolt straight on and you instantly get somewhere in the region of 20-25 bhp up at the top end.

Not bad for circa £300. You've got to spend £2k on an RS2 manifold to get near those gains on a clio.

Throw in a big bore throttle body and an induction kit (the oem airbox is relatively restrictive to keep noise down) and you'll be hovering around the 220-230bhp mark. More than enough for some RWD fun if you poke it with a stick once the traction control is off.

A very worthwhile mod indeed.
I did wonder whether it was held back so it wasn't equivalent/near to an m3. 193 didn't seem a lot for the displacement.

Does yours have an LSD?

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
lol, what is with this website and people all buying the same 'other' cars?

I have no spare monies atm and am desperate to sort the leather and get an armrest, perhaps the new year will be modifying time for me!

lol, what is with this website and people all buying the same 'other' cars?

I have no spare monies atm and am desperate to sort the leather and get an armrest, perhaps the new year will be modifying time for me!

Tis true, loads of people seemed to have E34s around the same time we did. I had an excuse though, mine was free!

1.6 Focus, 1.6 122S
Tis true, loads of people seemed to have E34s around the same time we did. I had an excuse though, mine was free!

As was mine!

The Lacquer has started to go on my newly refurbished wheels. Not happy is an understatement. Paid a fortune for them!

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I love my 328 Sport so much. But i keep getting tempted by an E46 330.