ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dynamique shocks with 60mm springs?

Hi i have been looking at some 60mm springs to buy and i asked the seller about which shocks to use and they replied that i could use my standard dynamique shocks and that they would be alright is this true? as i dont have a clue about shocks?

Cheers chris

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Mine are fine, doubt you will have any problems mate.

If you're going -60mm, it's advisable to get uprated shocks as well as springs. There will be shocks designed to work with the springs you buy.

You can normally get away with keeping standard shocks with upto -35mm but if was me, at -60mm, I'd get the shorter uprated shocks.

What springs are you buying? For example, if you're getting apex springs, there will be some apex shocks to go with them.

If you're going -60mm, it's advisable to get uprated shocks as well as springs. There will be shocks designed to work with the springs you buy.

You can normally get away with keeping standard shocks with upto -35mm but if was me, at -60mm, I'd get the shorter uprated shocks.

What springs are you buying? For example, if you're getting apex springs, there will be some apex shocks to go with them.

There gmax springs, do you have any idea jow much uprated shocks for these would cost? or would i be able to fit the springs and then get shocks when i have the money?

Cheers

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
New shocks are a waste of cash in my opinion, the standard ones will go at a random time anyway. Either buy just springs or get coilies, no point in meeting ion the middle in my opinion.

I have gone down 120ish mm and now 60mm on the standard shocks and done a fair few miles on them with no problems.

No idea how much they'll be. Maybe £150?

You can fit the springs first to standard shocks yes, but standard shocks with -60mm springs will wear out much quicker than normal.

o and another thing someone told me if i go over a bridge or something too fast without shortended shocks the springs may come out which put me off a little lol but i didnt know if this was true?

New shocks are a waste of cash in my opinion, the standard ones will go at a random time anyway. Either buy just springs or get coilies, no point in meeting ion the middle in my opinion.

I have gone down 120ish mm and now 60mm on the standard shocks and done a fair few miles on them with no problems.

Standard shocks are designed to work at standard ride height. Fitting -60mm springs will bugger them up. The car will handle MUCH better with uprated shocks opposed to standard.

Keeping standard is just a bodge imho.

o and another thing someone told me if i go over a bridge or something too fast without shortended shocks the springs may come out which put me off a little lol but i didnt know if this was true?

Yes, it can happen as the travel of the standard shocks are too long for the shortened springs. Doubt it would happen, but it can happen. Both back and front.

Chocolate Bar™
Get the shocks as well, i've been in some cars with springs and standard shocks and not only is the handling rough as hell, the suspension almost always is fucked after about a year of fitting. If you really cant afford the kit make sure you buy some good quality springs opposed to pi, gmax etc.

Yes, it can happen as the travel of the standard shocks are too long for the shortened springs. Doubt it would happen, but it can happen. Both back and front.

o right that scares me a little bit lol think ill save my pennies and get shocks, Cheers for the help :)

Clio 1.4 Sport
Standard shocks are designed to work at standard ride height. Fitting -60mm springs will bugger them up. The car will handle MUCH better with uprated shocks opposed to standard.

Keeping standard is just a bodge imho.

Is that the same for 40mm/35mm springs? I want to lower my 1.4 8v sport Mk2 ph1, but not sure whether to go for just springs or the kits with shocks?

Also anyone know a good make at a good price for springs? There are just soo many types available.

clio dci
60mm is fine on standard springs, ran two clios on em now for muchoo miles and never had a problem.
i dont see how they will wear faster anyway? there using the same travel just further down the damper. technically moving less so will wear out less quickly!

Chocolate Bar™
There is less give in a shorter spring, so all the impact of bumps etc goes into the damper

clio dci
well its also a harder spring so you could argue that the dampers take less impact, and tbf the forces acting on the wheels never change, car weights the same and the wheels move the same. plus the dampers effect isnt affected in any way really, as said on my 1.2 i ran 60mm springs and standard dampers for a good 60 - 70 k and nowt went wrong

1.2 Dynamique billabong
mate just use your standard shocks until they wear out and then replace them with upgraded ones. they wont wear out much quicker than normal

1.2 16V MKII
happy days that answers my qquestion, im plannin on goin 60mm but was gonna get shorter shocks an will do but i can get the springs 1st due to money issues, an if you guys are sayin the standard shocks will hold them in taht will do me until i get the shorter ones, i just have a fear of goin over speed humps an the back springs popping out??

1.2 Dynamique billabong
nah mate thats not going to happen, with a 60mm drop you will have to take speed bumps slower, if you were going so fast it made your car get airbourne for the springs to pop out it would destroy the car as you would bottom out and the sump etc would get battered