ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DVD ripping software

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I've posted this before, and the answer was handbrake, but that doesn't seem to want to work for me now I have a Mac (although I'm not sure if it ever worked previously on my PC).

Anyway, recommendations?

Please bare in mind, this will also probably need to be accompanied by a step by step r****d guide to what I need to do, as I'm pretty simple.

GiT

ClioSport Club Member
  Shit little Yaris...
MacTheRipper oddly - was mentioned at work the other morning when we were chewing the fat.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I use RipIt to rip the DVD to the iMac and then Handbrake to encode it.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
I use RipIt to rip the DVD to the iMac and then Handbrake to encode it.

Is it free?

What format does it rip from DVD to Mac in?

I've been using video monkey to get stuff from AVI to MP4 (or whatever the iTunes format is), which has been fine.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
You get 5 free rips. But after that you gotta pay. Think it worked out at just under a tenner when I bought it.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Ive started ripping my DVD's (2 down 487 to go) using RipIt. I want to make the file size smaller but not loose out on quality, is there a way of doing this?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
What was wrong with handbrake? Still works for me, when i rarely need to do it that is.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
You haven't got VLC? That's madness no matter what, I wouldn't bother playing a video on anything else.

I genuinely don't know what you mean, ha.

I refer you to my op and requiring everything in r****d format.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I'm taking it from the above posts that you need to have VLC installed on your computer to be able to decode the dvd's?

All computers should have VLC on them it's just to good to use anything else.

Download VLC, it's free, and try handbrake.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
If it didn't come on my MBP as standard, then I don't have it. I seem to remember when I tried to use handbrake and it not working, that the issue was a lack of VLC, but as I didn't know what it was, I gave up.

Cool, so I download VLC, then handbrake will work?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
From what I gather.

Have VLC no matter what mate, it's the best video player available (well certainly the best free one).

I have an awful lot of content if you're ever in the area.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
From what I gather.

Have VLC no matter what mate, it's the best video player available (well certainly the best free one).

I have an awful lot of content if you're ever in the area.

Excellent, I shall give you a shout if I am. Thank you.

Triffic, I'll give that a go, and see if I can get my DVD collection converted.

I just play content through iTunes. Which I hook up to my AV amp if I want to watch on a bigger screen and in 5.1.

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Right, it's not a VLC issue.

It's something to do with 64bit handbrake and 32bit DVD.

Agreed VLC is the nuts.

I've ripped over 500 hundred dvd's then converted them to .avi or .mkv if it's a blu-ray both with integrated DTS sound

I'll post up what I use when I get home (can't remember atm as i's been a while since i last ripped one)

133/225/CLS AMG
I've just used Handbrake to rip a couple of DVDs to my Mac, gone through no problems and play perfectly.

Big file sizes but assume I can adjust that somewhere or other. :)

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I'm completely baffled.

It says something about 32bit, then directs me to download something, but that didn't seem to do anything.

133/225/CLS AMG
Well, I'm completely baffled.

It says something about 32bit, then directs me to download something, but that didn't seem to do anything.

It did the same with me mate and guided me to a white page with two links. Think it was the second one I click, downloaded and ran it, then worked fine. :)

Guessing that's the bit that sorts out if it's a 32bit DVD (if that makes sense) and a 64bit application. That's my interpretation anyway haha

Deeg

ClioSport Club Member
It did the same with me mate and guided me to a white page with two links. Think it was the second one I click, downloaded and ran it, then worked fine. :)

Guessing that's the bit that sorts out if it's a 32bit DVD (if that makes sense) and a 64bit application. That's my interpretation anyway haha

I'll have a go at that tomorrow then.

Cheers.

133/225/CLS AMG
No worries hope it works. I've been ripping a few movies for my devices. Original Star Wars movies came out at under 1gb each, original Transformers cartoon movie too. Not come across any problem movies yet. :)