ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dunlop DZ03G pealing/cracking/splitting

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Noticed this on both of my front tyres after yesterday’s trackday, also noticed that they appear to be wearing more in the centre as I’ve hit the wear bar but the edges are a way off it, my pressures were at 30 hot all day.

ADC09CB8-073B-4EED-8189-53F3C05F32D7.jpeg
F2645E18-3EDD-455B-A16E-0B38B0ED3D0E.jpeg
BEF4B6F1-0502-4F58-A639-45F695095AEA.jpeg

Is this normal for these tyres as it doesn’t look normal to me?

Cheers
Dan

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Overheated the outside edge basically, the rubber has blistered.

Not been smashing kerbs as well have you ?

Wearing the centre indicates overinflated too. Can get away with less than 30psi with DZ03G's.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
google tells me that the tyre wasn't heated in a uniform manner.

the outer surface was hot the centre less so. Should allow few more warming laps before full attack apparently.

This in regards to purely the centre wear? Very hot yesterday so they warmed up very quickly.

Overheated the outside edge basically, the rubber has blistered.

Not been smashing kerbs as well have you ?

Wearing the centre indicates overinflated too. Can get away with less than 30psi with DZ03G's.

Yeh I know the centre will wear if the tyre is overinflated but didn’t want to take anymore air out to put them under 30psi as this is normally an ok temp to run at hot!

Was hitting a few kerbs yeh but nothing major!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
In an ideal world you'd measure tyre temperatures, but the pyrometers aren't cheap.

Pressure is just a way of fine tuning to get to the temperature you're looking to achieve.

So really, there's no set pressure to use. It's just whatever is needed to get into the temperature window.

70-90c is about where you want to be.

What camber are running by the way?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I don't think the centre has overheated, just overinflated.

Looks to need more camber to stop the edge wear, just waiting for @Greeny. to say what camber he has.

Will try lower pressures next time then! Oops, trust me to mess up the most expensive tyres I’ve ever bought for the track car :p tbh they still gripped really well, I love them!

Also killed a rear wheel bearing :(

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member

Will try lower pressures next time then! Oops, trust me to mess up the most expensive tyres I’ve ever bought for the track car :p tbh they still gripped really well, I love them!

Also killed a rear wheel bearing :(

-3 is plenty, hmm.... Shouldn't be wearing the outside edge at that camber ?

Can only think it's the pressure that's done it, causing the temperature rise.

I'd try around 28 hot.

Clio 182
Done the same on several sets of those I’ve had, but I only run at Combe and it’s only ever the n/s front (as that’s the one that gets all the hammering). I run at 30 psi hot too, always put it down to my coilover sprig rates not being hard enough causing excessive lean on that tyre.....as you say they still grip no trouble, but that front left will only last two trackdays. Is frustrating, I’ve not had it with other makes of semi slick with the same set up.
A friend runs them on his 106 and they barely wear at all, interesting to see someone in a Clio having the same problem!