ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dry oil filter?

Clio 1.2 16V
Yesterday my oil pressure light and stop light came on. Took it to the garage and had the pressure sensor replaced, which didn't fix it. The mechanic recommended an engine flush, new filter and oil.

He put the flush in and took the oil filter off but the oil filter was dry. He said that therefore there was no oil running round the engine and told me it was the oil pump and that it needs replacing. Can anyone shed any light on this? I have no idea :confused::confused: is this correct?

I must say there's no strange knocks or noises and temp is normal. No coolant loss either.

Any help would be much appreciated.

dan's cast offs.
never use engine flush, take it to someone who knows what they are doing. first step check pressure from switch mounting.

Clio 1.2 16V
He has left the car with the flush still in and handed it back to me and told me not to drive it. Shall I get the flush taken oit and some fresh oil put in, in order to have the pressure checked?

Clio 1.2 16V
Yeah I did. It was all good. I'm just worried now that the engine flush is damaging my engine as he's left it in there all day. Its sitting outside on the street beside his garage until I have it towed to someone tomorrow. I'm tempted to go up there and drain it and put new oil in.

Clio 1.2 16V
Why has he left the flush in?

He should have dropped it straight after.
He called me up after he had fitted the new pressure sensor. He said that it didn't fix the problem and therefore he recommended an engine flush with new oil filter etc. I agreed. I then went to collect the car and he said he had revised his plan and that it was most likely an oil pump problem because the oil filter was dry. At this point he had already put the flush in the engine. He said he didn't remove the flush and put new oil in because when I get the pump changed the new oil would have to be drained out, so he said to just leave that in until I got a new pump put in. What shall I do? Really panicking now... :(

dan's cast offs.
find a decent garage, i'm guessing whoever has got it at the moment can't even tie their own shoelaces!!

Clio 1.2 16V
Cheers. I'm going to wait until he's open on Monday and get him to take the flush out in case he's damaged it anymore. If I take it out now and its damaged then I haven't a leg to stand on.

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
He called me up after he had fitted the new pressure sensor. He said that it didn't fix the problem and therefore he recommended an engine flush with new oil filter etc. I agreed. I then went to collect the car and he said he had revised his plan and that it was most likely an oil pump problem because the oil filter was dry. At this point he had already put the flush in the engine. He said he didn't remove the flush and put new oil in because when I get the pump changed the new oil would have to be drained out, so he said to just leave that in until I got a new pump put in. What shall I do? Really panicking now... 😧
I think that's fair enough. The oil flush isn't really a solve for much but saying there's no point in changing the oil when you'd have to drop it again is right and saved you money. Don't drive it as the oil flush will make the oil like water. If the pump has gone the chain may be in the sump. Get the sump off and check is all you can do at this point. I wouldn't order a pump until that's done.

Clio 1.2 16V
So you don't think leaving the flush in there for a day or 2 will do any harm? (Providing I don't start it) cheers for your reply mate

Clio Dci
Surely he'd have drained the oil and flush to remove the oil filter to see its dry? Or am I missing something here?

Clio 1.2 16V
Surely he'd have drained the oil and flush to remove the oil filter to see its dry? Or am I missing something here?
No he hasn't. He checked the oil filter before the flush and said it was dry and then he put the flush in and stopped because he realised if the oil filter was dry then the flush wasn't really going to help, then checked the filter again and said it was still dry. He hasn't drained anything before removing the filter.

Clio 1.2 16V
No he hasn't. He checked the oil filter before the flush and said it was dry and then he put the flush in and stopped because he realised if the oil filter was dry then the flush wasn't really going to help and checked the filter again and said it was still dry. He hadnt drained anything before removing the filter.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
If you don't start the engine then the flush will do no damage at all to the engine mate so don't panic. Realistically even if you did start it, it still won't do anything as by the sounds of it it's making no oil pressure! If that's the case how long did you run the engine for with the light on? The standard oil pressure switch is set to illuminate at 4psi or lower so depending on how long it ran for will determine if it's done any internal damage.

Clio 1.2 16V
Just a quick update for you all. I was put in touch with a good mechanic yesterday. Had the car towed to the location and had all the oil/flush removed. Very gunky and hadn't seen a change in a while.

In the sump, there was something rolling around, some sort of sensor maybe. Will know more tomorrow and will update accordingly. Thanks!

Last edited:
  FF Clio 182
Drop all the oil and flush. Drop sub frame slight and remove sump to have a good look. If not find someone with a bore scope to stick in the sump hole to have a look. By the sounds of it the first mechanic realized he was out his depth and wants nothing to do with it.

Oh and on a side not the oil pump is driven by a chain off the crank

Clio 1.2 16V
Evening all. Just got the car back. A list of work done: oil pump, oil pump seal, cambelt, oil level sensor, oil filter, oil and alternator belt.

Oil pump was the main issue, I've uploaded a picture of how it was. Thanks for the help all.

Attachments

• IMG_20150206_211024.jpg
    IMG_20150206_211024.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 99