ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drum brake sizes ? :S

1.5dci
ok, so i kinda need new drums and shoes - now, i gave halfrauds my reg ( n my mates trade card number ;) ) and theres 2 types of drum.. and 2 types of shoes..

so one shoe set goes with each drum i presume BUT

does my car have either a) 180mm drums or B) 203 ?

and also where is cheap - drums are 35£ ago, ( trade ) and shoes are i think 23£ ago ( also on trade ) can anyone beat this :p

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
iirc they are bendix shoes... 203mm Drums

EDIT: wouldnt of thought there was ABS on the rears

Last edited:
  1.5dci
ah yeah., they clown behind the counter did say somthing about bedix, - is the diameter taken from inside or outside ?, because the one side is stuck on .. n going to need smashing off.. so i'd rather have the correct parts :p

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
ah yeah., they clown behind the counter did say somthing about bedix, - is the diameter taken from inside or outside ?, because the one side is stuck on .. n going to need smashing off.. so i'd rather have the correct parts :p

Ive jsut checked and both the 1.2's (8v and 16v) only has the one size drum which is a 203mm and no ABS.

1.5dci
cheers for that :) will see what we can afford on payday lol kinda important really but hey ho its been makin a noise since christmas, im sure it can go a few more weeks lol

As said the 1.2s are 203mm Drums.

Have you tried Euro Car Parts? They do next day delivery and will probably stock better makes than Halfrauds.

Also, make sure you get the shoe fitting kit as I forgot to get one and had to leave my car in bits to go and pick one up.

The chances of you needed new drums is slim though. Should only really need to change the shoes.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
cheers for that :) will see what we can afford on payday lol kinda important really but hey ho its been makin a noise since christmas, im sure it can go a few more weeks lol
Noises? How many miles has it done?

1.5dci
its done 77k, had both the bearings replaced recently and the 'noise' didnt go away like i'd hoped ( if thats what your getting at ;) ) when i spin the drum,

you cant spin it freely it'll do maybe 1 rotation ..it's like something inside is rubbing the edge like metal on metal, so im guessing one of the shoes is lose or somthing, causing it to make lots of noise when driving above 30 mph .. ive never had the rear drums off in all the time ive had it .. ( which is 2 and a half years .. )

as for the state of the drums, that top lip bit which fits against the drum guard at the back is all corroded ( and we tryed to get the drum off but couldnt, which tells me theres one huge lip of wear inside ... )

Last edited:
The shoes will be down to the metal probably.

Get a drum puller and pull them off if they won't budge by hand. More than likely its just the shoes though.

My shoes actually fell apart inside the drum and wedged themselve against the drum wall, locking the rear wheel. 1 set of shoes, a fitting kit and lots of swearing later and my brakes were working again :)

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
The shoes will be down to the metal probably.

Get a drum puller and pull them off if they won't budge by hand. More than likely its just the shoes though.

My shoes actually fell apart inside the drum and wedged themselve against the drum wall, locking the rear wheel. 1 set of shoes, a fitting kit and lots of swearing later and my brakes were working again :)
Or a large lump of wood and mallet!! lol