ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dropping subframe on ph2 172, what to do with metal PAS pipe?

Im going to be dropping the subframe on my 172 in the next couple of days, what do i do about that metal hose that goes over the box? disconnect it from the rack? is it easily accessible?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
I do it differently @Dan@SJM

I disconnect the column/rack Union first and then remove the flow/return lines from the rack... Then I drop the subframe.

Let's be honest, most of the cars would benefit hugely from a PAS fluid service.

Leaving the rack on the car would be a long way to do it, undoing the steering rack from the subframe would be a pain.

I'm putting it all into a mk1, was planing to do the subframe this weekend and then the engine the week after, but my new bushes are delayed so will put the engine in first, I'll drop the engine/subframe together now

M2 Comp
When I did mine I left the rack in situ and I'm sure it was just 4 x 16mm(?) bolts at the back of the subframe.

Ive dropped 172's apart before but they were for breaking and i didn't really care to much about busting things, i literally need to keep everything this time!

Ex 182 owner
I have seen a pic in another thread which appeared to show the rack left on the car but the headsheild left on the subframe. I am guessing its possible to slid it all backwards to do this?

HBT 172 Cup
I do it the other way and just dissconect from pump, take off battery tray so you can pull the line up past it, and leave it all connected at the rack, and the rack attached the subframe.

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
I do it the other way and just dissconect from pump, take off battery tray so you can pull the line up past it, and leave it all connected at the rack, and the rack attached the subframe.

I do this (for an engine removal) but I get a slight concern about damaging the pipe. Next time I think I'll just take it off so it's out of the way. PAS fluid is cheap enough any way.