ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driving without MOT or tax?

clio 172-?
hi guys im stuck at the moment.

the car has been off the road since the end of summer, while off the road mot has run out and tax.
the car failed an mot, its booked into renault to get work done am i actually aloud to drive the car to the garage just insured? i thought i would be ok but my friend has told me im not so im abit worried now as its booked in for monday :S

thanks

RS6 C7
NO YOU CAN'T!

You need an M.O.T to drive on the road, You are allowed to drive it too an M.O.T centre if it's booked in but that's it!

You're allowed no MOT to drive to a pre-booked test. I don't think that applies to general repairs and I'm not sure about the tax.

Just pay a recovery truck to take it. It'll cost you 30quid but it's legal and no hassle.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Schedule 2 - Exempt vehicles

22. - (1) A vehicle is
an exempt vehicle [from VED] when it is being used solely for the purpose
of;

(a) submitting it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a
specified date) for a compulsory test, a vehicle identity check, a vehicle
weight test or a reduced pollution test, or

(b) bringing it away from any
such test or check.

clio 172-?
its about a 10 min drive on the A55, really dont want to risk it now :( will have to see if i can get a trailer or something sorted thanks guys

clio 172-?
also recovery trucks around here take the mick. they will charge me near £200 if not more, is towing an option?

5 GTT & Orb'd Trophy
Can you not just get the renault garage to book the test for you as part of the work?

fez

Clio 182 cup
probably totally confused but if you know anyone with trade plates or even someone from the garage can they take collect it? as long as its on those plates. im sure I have seen new cars with no test tax being driven between garages etc ? sorry if thats confused matters :banghead:

clio 172-?
yeah thats what its going there for to get the belts, and cv boot done which it failed on mot, also has an airbag light and emmisions light up but i will get them taken off when it actually goes for the mot.

Renault Clio RS182
Our local dealer has a recovery truck, just ask your dealer they may have somebody with one that they use or have their own. I wouldn't chance it on an A road tbh if you do risk it get a mate infront and behind you and use the back roads :rolleyes:

M3, Cup racer'd 182
The only way your legal to tow a vehicle now is on a dolly as the car is not under it's own propulsion e.g all wheels on the ground, my brother found that out and got band for "driving with no tax,mot,insurance" even though it was getting towed by a rope and he had insurance for his own car.
If you was closer i would've offered to take your car on my trailer.

If your going to risk it take the back roads and get mates with you, one in front and one behind but try not to draw attention to your self.

clio 172-?
jeez such a harsh penalty for a harmless offense! im trying to get hold of a trailer now one of my mates knows a friend with one so he's going to see if i can borrow it, fingers crossed! i would just rebook this but i managed to get the renault fixed price belt change and water pump for £499 before they changed it to exclude sports so i dont want to risk rebooking :(

Clio II 1.2 16V
tax_in_post.jpg

It legal as long as it booked in. Ask the place your taking to to give you some paperwork stating the time, and their contact number if you get a pull show em that. Then IMO leave the car there, while you get a fresh tax disc, with your fresh MOT, go back job done.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069671

clio 172-?
just spoken to my brother and he says that if you tow using an A-frame or similar the car can be classed as a trailer? longshot haha?

DomP182

ClioSport Club Member
  ph1 172, Arctic182
my brother drove his Fiat X19 less than 1/2 a mile in a small town to get work done on it for the mot, no tax no mot so therefore no insurance. He stalled and couldnt get it started on a roundabout 200 yards from the garage and a policewoman came to his aid - 6 points and a £300 fine!

Listerine & Poledo
Never mind about to the test cente, just drive about like normal.

It's only Tax, and legal roadworthyness. pft.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
you are covered to take it to a garage for mot repairs if ite pre booked.

This is incorrect I think, now that he has taken it elsewhere first?

You are allowed:
To drive to the MOT from wherever the car is
To drive from the MOT to wherever the car is ending up afterwards

You are not allowed to make any detours along the way, so if he went straight from the MOT to the garage it would be legal, but if he took the car home first then the next day takes it to the garage it is not. Thats my understanding anyway.

Edit, actually it would appear you are correct:

This is from the relevent section of law:
(3) Where the relevant certificate is refused on a compulsory test of a vehicle the vehicle is an exempt vehicle when it is being used solely for the purpose of—
(a) delivering it (by previous arrangement for a specified time on a specified date) at a place where relevant work is to be done on it, or
(b) bringing it away from a place where relevant work has been done on it.

I've always assumed that to mean only on its initial journey from the MOT, but TBH how its worded makes it sound like you can drive it to and from as many garages as you like. strange one!

One thing I do know is there is no distance limit, so weirdly you can live in scotland and book an MOT in london and be legal to drive there and back. bizarre set of laws really.

Last edited:
my brother drove his Fiat X19 less than 1/2 a mile in a small town to get work done on it for the mot, no tax no mot so therefore no insurance. He stalled and couldnt get it started on a roundabout 200 yards from the garage and a policewoman came to his aid - 6 points and a £300 fine!

Sounds like he had no insurance either...

Lol at everyone saying do it. So your ok paying for an mot and £245 road tax and letting him get away with it? ;)

Renault Clio RS182
One thing I do know is there is no distance limit, so weirdly you can live in scotland and book an MOT in london and be legal to drive there and back. bizarre set of laws really.

I was always under the impression that you had to use your nearest test centre (or atleast one not too far away), because otherwise it would count as a detour due to the fact that all centres are suposed to be impartial and charge a recommended price (which i know in theory isn't the case)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I was always under the impression that you had to use your nearest test centre (or atleast one not too far away), because otherwise it would count as a detour due to the fact that all centres are suposed to be impartial and charge a recommended price (which i know in theory isn't the case)

No this is categorically not the case as it would be massively anti competitive.

I have had this in writing from the DVLA, I contact them when doing some work for a motoring mag when the question came up, you can drive 400 miles including on all road types (ie motorway too) if you wish, and its 100% legal.

Its a good way of getting a car home that isnt MOT'd or Tax'd in fact, go from glasgow to cornwall to fetch a car, book it in for an mot back in glasgow when you do so and you can legally drive it back no problem so long as its insured.

Renault Clio RS182
Fair enough, it is a little bizzare like you said in your last post. I wonder where the insurance companies stand on this, because they don't want to pay out at the best of times!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Fair enough, it is a little bizzare like you said in your last post. I wonder where the insurance companies stand on this, because they don't want to pay out at the best of times!

In this case they have no choice, you arent in breach of any contract etc.

clio 172-?
i did find it quite bizzare that folk were telling me to just do it haha as iv seen other people get so much abuse :p
i insured it this morning and took it, no cops or anything so got there with no hassle just a noisy uncomfortable drive :)

Iceberg 172 Cup
just drive it, how many times have you been pulled up over the last few years. my god, i run around in a work van a few years back with an MOT 9 months out of date and TAX 6 months out, the owners severly overlooked this! i was obviously pissed off but just shows you dont get pulled up i never did :D

edit, good lad ^ lol

Ph2 172
You have to have insurance to drive to get it fixed/MOTed though. I used dayinsure and they will still cover a car without tax/MOT. Cost me £55 for one day though!

BMW M Lite
just drive it, how many times have you been pulled up over the last few years. my god, i run around in a work van a few years back with an MOT 9 months out of date and TAX 6 months out, the owners severly overlooked this! i was obviously pissed off but just shows you dont get pulled up i never did :D

edit, good lad ^ lol

A few years back, before the police fittted the vast majority of their traffic cars with ANPR cameras that will give them a cheesy grin inducing warning that you're vehicle is infact unroadworthy as you pass them...