ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving Shoes

Clio 172
I'm in the middle of the Loughborough Car Club Autosolo at Donington Park. My Hitec squash shoes have just split so I need some new ones. Not right now, but need to buy some soon. Richard Burns used to use the same squash shoes when not having to wear "proper" boots, they work well.

I have my nomex boots for rallying/sprinting, but don't want to look an over dressed div at events.

What are others using? Thin sole, rolled heel, narrow, ideally waterproof, low cut.

Clio 172
Thanks for the replies.
Plimsoles lack the level of rigidity I need.
I'd rather wear my Nomex boots than be seen in Lonsdale! I'm after an understated, stealth look.
"As long as you're not wearing flipflops or stilettos you will be fine!" - you've obviously never driven competitively, footwear makes a HUGE difference.
I've tried Pilotis, the rubber sole is too thick and loses feel.
Kart boots are too similar to my Nomex boots.

Please keep the thoughts coming. I'm hoping my perfect footwear is out there somewhere, but I can't find them. As I use the shoes for road and regularity rallying, plus competing on Autosolos (where I frequently get wet during my marshaling session, as today), I'd love something waterproof, but I suppose I could always Nikwax them.

Apart from Hitec squash shoes, I like the look of the OMP Nurburgring boots in black, but they're expensive.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IC-784-OM...hash=item4afa124341:m:mtJ7hvwdRbTlrBIeR5tFoTQ

Fourth overall today and first in class in my standardish 172. 2.3 seconds off the overall win. Only beaten by a Caterham plus highly modified MX5 and Micra. Maximum National Autosolo Championship points.

WRX
Nothing wrong with the Lonsdales for the price. I use them on trackdays as they feel similar to a race boot. Could quite happily use them in my hillclimbs but I have OMP boots, as I circuit race too. How about the Puma drift I think they're called then? Double the price, almost the same but a bit of a better choice for a brand snob. Failing that custom made Louboutins with a trademark red sole would look great I'm sure.

Matt Cup

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon Cupra
How about some Puma Future Cats?

41IebPN-UsL.jpg

Clio 172
Thanks for those further recommendations. Just been looking on the Sports Direct site. The Drifts look good as do the Future Cats. The black Lonsdales could work. Some indoor football boots could also work and have the benefit that they're not too breathable/let in water.

I should have added that cost is a factor - I'll probably destroy these new shoes in no time. they'll be leading a hard life.

I'll hit Sports Direct tomorrow and see what the shoes are like in reality.
Great thanks for all the suggestions.

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
My £10 Styles didn't split , or let I water today Alan.And I've used them on sprint and hillclimbs many times.Theain thi thi thi view I not to have projecting welts to catch under pedals

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
I always liked my puma ferrari shoes. Looked bloody awful but comfy as you like.

They were a suede/fabric version of the future cat I think.

These days it's just M&S trainers. I'm used to driving in steelies so anything is better.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
I have some suede OMP shoes had them years & still going strong.
Bit bright but very comfy.

Clio 172
Never say never, I now possess a pair of black Lonsdales!

I was hoping to find some indoor football boots so they could be multi-purpose, but the Lonsdales were superior in every respect as driving shoes. They feel comfortable and well built. Sole feels a little thick at present but they'll wear in. I'm hoping the leather uppers will withstand rain and mud reasonably well, but I'm realistic. Inevitably I'll be wandering around in grass and puddles while learning Autosolo courses and on road/Targa/regularity rallies, especially for the customery pee before the first test!

And they were cheap, another important factor as these shoes will be abused and probably won't last very long, few driving shoes would. Time to test them on some upcoming grass autotests, a passenger ride event for charity, then they should be nicely broken in for the Ross Traders Rally and the rest of the BTRDA Autosolo Championship.

Pacman.

ClioSport Club Member
  Did have a R27
Puma drift cats are the best for me.

And now I can't find these anywhere Renault F1 Alonso Special Editions. Had them since 2006 lol

6d5cd5dc4802c8f8f2d2619bdbc5f8d3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

197was/second 182is
Sparco 77, omp ks-3 and puma ferrari, I had all of them, puma got worst quality in my opinion (last about half year) but I wearing them everyday :D now I have to find something new... Maybe Piloti? But they quite expensive...

Cio 172 Cup,Porsche
Aldi have suede trainer type slip-ons with flexible rubber soles(including a bit up the heel)without a pronounced welt, right now for only £10.

182 Trophy
I have a brand new and unused pair of blue/white Puma Drift Cats in size 9, which were sent to me in error (ordered size 10). Before I return, does anyone want these? PM me if interesred, I'll put them up in the for sale forum too.

Clio 172
A quick update on the Lonsdales. I've now done a variety of rallies, Autosolos and Autotests in them and they're holding up. The soles are still feeling a bit think, I'm missing a little feel, but the big test is that I don't notice them - they don't get in the way and haven't held me back. So that's two Targa rally wins, several Autosolo class wins and more Autotest awards.

The thicker sole feels good for walking and I can go through mud without falling over! They even performed well in the wet in the car park at MK Dons stadium yesterday for a BTRDA Autotest - the rest of me was soaked but my socks were dry.

So ok as an allround driving shoe and they were cheap. Some signs of wear now on the soles, but then I do walk most of the tests beforehand, several times, to get the lines right.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Puma Speedcat's in Black and White, they are old as fook but they do the job.

A quick update on the Lonsdales. I've now done a variety of rallies, Autosolos and Autotests in them and they're holding up. The soles are still feeling a bit think, I'm missing a little feel, but the big test is that I don't notice them - they don't get in the way and haven't held me back. So that's two Targa rally wins, several Autosolo class wins and more Autotest awards.

The thicker sole feels good for walking and I can go through mud without falling over! They even performed well in the wet in the car park at MK Dons stadium yesterday for a BTRDA Autotest - the rest of me was soaked but my socks were dry.

So ok as an allround driving shoe and they were cheap. Some signs of wear now on the soles, but then I do walk most of the tests beforehand, several times, to get the lines right.
Which ones did you get?

Clio 172
Which ones did you get?

These. As stealthy as possible, I don't want to look like a wannabee racer, I'm a real racer !

Can't see a name on them but they're ok. Inevitably my Nomex boots are better but these are quite good to walk round courses. Just about to do exactly that walking around a field to learn courses for a Boundless by CSMA grass autotest.

Attachments

• 20160904_074243.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 113