ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshafts utter sh*te

200bhp itb'd iceberg
just wanted to get off my chest how i feel about driveshafts lol

i drive a clio 172 sport but before that had a saxo vtr whilst having the saxo for just under a year i replaced the driveshafts 3 times!

i thought my luck would change with buying the clio but no another has gone drivers side. i took it in to my local place where i get parts from they ordered a clio 2.0 16 sport drive shaft but its completly different to mine and they cant tell what its off!
it looks like a laguna driveshaft but cant be certain... so im gunna have to send my driveshaft off to be re-cond an hopefully they can determin what shaft it is!

200bhp itb'd iceberg
but i dont drive it hard at all thats what i dont get!
if i wanted to go fast id go and get my r6 out of the garage :)

172 cup,s2 rs turbo
ive never bust one on mine and cant remember changing one that often at work either. must be your lead foot. how much are shafts from the main dealer? also consider some shafts in aftersales dont always look the same due to supercessions etc

200bhp itb'd iceberg
you normally hear and feel a nocking sound in the foot wells when you turn if you have a look underneath most of the time the cv boot will be split or just basically come off. ive fitted a couple at work not a hard job really just this ones a pain as the drive shaft on my car is nothing like the one that they ordered! and they cant match it either
gettin mine re-conned for £75 which isnt bad seeing as when you buy a ''new'' 1 from a garage or a parts shop its re-cond anyway

Clio 172 Cup
Was just asking because the phase 1 ive just bought makes a slight clicky/knocking form the d/side wheel when pulling away with slight lock on - also got the slightest amount of feedback through the wheels at about 80mph....and i was thinking it could be the cv joint or possibly driveshaft as i've noticed when lookng through the history thats its got through 2!!

RS RIP
^^ yeh mine got changed at 35k.. (previous owner) maybe it's time again now i'm at 70k..

so symptons are noisy + tracking/steering going funny ?
i have a "creaking/clunk" noise growing stronger , it's NOT the full lock noise .. (i do'nt ever go full lock either btw PAS do'nt like it)

Clio 172
just wanted to get off my chest how i feel about driveshafts lol

i drive a clio 172 sport but before that had a saxo vtr whilst having the saxo for just under a year i replaced the driveshafts 3 times!

i thought my luck would change with buying the clio but no another has gone drivers side. i took it in to my local place where i get parts from they ordered a clio 2.0 16 sport drive shaft but its completly different to mine and they cant tell what its off!
it looks like a laguna driveshaft but cant be certain... so im gunna have to send my driveshaft off to be re-cond an hopefully they can determin what shaft it is!

ive got the same problem, my garage have ordered them in but different to whats on the car? any luck your end?

ITB'd MK1
just get a new shaft from Renault. They've come down a lot in price recently so they're not that expensive for genuine parts anymore.

And yes, ALL french driveshafts are s**t, most unrelable part of every french car IMO. Done more on french cars over the years than anything else

ClioSport 172 Cup
A driveshafts a driveshaft. The French don`t use any different materials to any other hot hatch manufacturers. As Andyman says, the way you drive or use the car will determine how long parts last.

200bhp itb'd iceberg
ive got the same problem, my garage have ordered them in but different to whats on the car? any luck your end?

well my driveshaft is beeing sent of first thing tuesday and will have it back wednesday afternoon.

dont no what company but its not renault they are gunna re-con it and find out what shaft it is so il let you know!
to be honest looking in the order book it looks like a laguna 1?
the splines and length both match mine but not certain.

gavin im not sure how much they are from renault but i can get them for £83 plus vat for the 2.0 16v from a local place called j-sect but as i get discount i get them for £75 :)

sammy if this is true then why do french driveshafts break more than say ford driveshafts? and when i mean break i dont mean snapped in 2 i mean the bearings gone causing it to clunk and nock whilst turning

Last edited:
  "Navy" N17 TWO
I had to get a drivers side one replaced when my car came over from Luton with 18k :eek:
When i was accelerating (not flooring it) in 1st & 2nd I was getting a juddering as if the wheels were losing grip . turned out to be the driveshaft (inner CV boot was gone) and an engine mount needed replaced too.

Thank fook for a warranty :)

ClioSport 172 Cup
jono,

Its because you are on a renault clio forum and you drive a renault clio you only assume we clio owners have the problems. I`m sure if you had a good look into the big ford forums, peugeot, citroen, even jap owners that people all have problems with driveshafts on cars, transmissions too. If you start pushing power through any engine and ragging it you will reduce the life of parts, including driveshafts! FWD cars are the worst for eating driveshafts. I used to own a suzuki swift GTi and went through two transmissions on that! The engine was bullet proof but the driveshafts and gearboxes were the weakest parts. My mate has a Focus ST and he has just recently snapped one of his driveshafts! So you mustn`t generalise just because its been manufactured by the french.

Sam

RB 182 & Lotus Evora
renault have redesigned there driveshafts/cv joints looking at my genuine replacement.

200bhp itb'd iceberg
jono,

Its because you are on a renault clio forum and you drive a renault clio you only assume we clio owners have the problems. I`m sure if you had a good look into the big ford forums, peugeot, citroen, even jap owners that people all have problems with driveshafts on cars, transmissions too. If you start pushing power through any engine and ragging it you will reduce the life of parts, including driveshafts! FWD cars are the worst for eating driveshafts. I used to own a suzuki swift GTi and went through two transmissions on that! The engine was bullet proof but the driveshafts and gearboxes were the weakest parts. My mate has a Focus ST and he has just recently snapped one of his driveshafts! So you mustn`t generalise just because its been manufactured by the french.

Sam

i understand what your saying sam but im not saying its just clio's all french cars weak points are gearboxes and driveshafts my first car was a 1.4 honda civic lol i gave that absolute pain everywhere went off roading init and everything never had 1 sound from the gearbox or the driveshafts. but the saxo i hardly ever used to drive it i went through a gearbox a clutch 3 driveshafts endless amount of ball joints. the clio i must admit when i got the car i knew the driveshaft was knocking but i got the car cheap so cudnt complain and its not a big job to do. as a mechanic at work we have more french cars come in for driveshafts and gearboxes than any other and the people that bring them in arnt teenagers that thrash them there older people...

ITB'd MK1
i understand what your saying sam but im not saying its just clio's all french cars weak points are gearboxes and driveshafts my first car was a 1.4 honda civic lol i gave that absolute pain everywhere went off roading init and everything never had 1 sound from the gearbox or the driveshafts. but the saxo i hardly ever used to drive it i went through a gearbox a clutch 3 driveshafts endless amount of ball joints. the clio i must admit when i got the car i knew the driveshaft was knocking but i got the car cheap so cudnt complain and its not a big job to do. as a mechanic at work we have more french cars come in for driveshafts and gearboxes than any other and the people that bring them in arnt teenagers that thrash them there older people...

100% agree. I factored in a new driveshaft to the price of the car when i bought my latest 205, I knew it would need one before i'd even seen the car or spoken to the seller.......low and behold

Ph1

Thats exactly the point on it just being wear and tare. Old people, gearboxes / components dont go.
Pensioners aint happy unless the clutch is smoking like a crack addict :rasp:

ITB'd MK1
Thats exactly the point on it just being wear and tare. Old people, gearboxes / components dont go.
Pensioners aint happy unless the clutch is smoking like a crack addict :rasp:

NO, you're entirely missing the point. There's a disproportionate number of these failures on french cars. If it was just old people in general, you wouldn't notice a trend as they drive a wide variety of vehicles

At the end of the day you get what you pay for + you might be lucky you might be unlucky. I don think french cars are particulary bad but of course there is better out there if your prepared to spend more (generally speaking)

200bhp itb'd iceberg
for any 1 interested got my driveshaft back today from being re-conditioned they found out the driveshaft is a megane 1.5 dci diesel driveshaft lol wierd....