ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft issue - Where do I stand?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
On Sunday I got my car back together with the new genuine Renault shafts. It's been fine since, in fact its been brilliant, absolutely love the car now its on ASTs and the roll centre correction kit.

Last night the gearbox oil started leaking, I'd heard a slight clunk on the way home and thought nothing of it however I think the noise and the problem I now have is related.

The end piece of the shaft is a separate section splined on the inside (the gearbox output shaft and the driveshaft itself have male splines) and joins the shaft and the gearbox output.

I can see the 'joiner' for want of a better word has moved closer to the gearbox and is pressing on the seal, so its obviously loosed from the shaft and shifted over, this in turn has made it leak oil from the o/s gearbox seal.

IMAG1662.jpg

I'm guessing this shouldn't happen and is a fault with the driveshaft. My remedy for this would be to take the shaft off, tap the 'joiner' back into place then put a couple of welds around it and the shaft to hold it in place. I wouldn't be worried about the balancing with just a few evenly spaced spot welds and the fact its a two piece shaft with centre bearing.

However I shouldn't have to do this, its a brand new shaft from Renault and its shouldn't be faulty. They're costing me extra time, garage labour, seal and gearbox oil. On the other hand I don't want to piss around, I want it sorted now. So where do I stand?

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You get a 12m warranty on parts. They will not offer you anything else towards oil/labour etc as far as I know. (I haven't worked there for about 7 years)

Is your harder suspension/ roll centre kit, sticky tyres etc too much for the standard shafts??

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
IIRC, fred said they're recon'd, not actually brand BRAND new??

Either way, they come with a warranty so take them back.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
IMO, Renault will say foxtrot oscar, as the incorrect shaft for the vehicle has been fitted.

You make a valid point.

If he just takes the shaft in, they'll just replace it with another two piece, if he takes the shaft in and says it's the incorrect one, they'll be entitled to void the warranty....

Tricky one.

Lionel Richie
You can't take the part in, they have to inspect the car before replacing anything! Took 3months and 3 visits to get a rear shock

You make a valid point.

If he just takes the shaft in, they'll just replace it with another two piece, if he takes the shaft in and says it's the incorrect one, they'll be entitled to void the warranty....

Tricky one.

Renaults warranty terms are that it has to go into a dealership to be examined to see if it's a fitting error.

Although, I have managed to get a warranty payout by agreeing to do the repair if they supplied the parts when I had an aux belt tensioner bolt fail. Just because it was such a grey area as to who's fault it would've been. Me for not checking the bolt before fitting it or theirs for supplying the bolt prefitted and QC'd.

dan's cast offs.
couple of welds will be fine on it, if you want oil give me a shout, just got a load in can do you for decent price. can't see a seal being much more than a fiver?

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Measured the shafts before fitting. Fully compressed a ph1 shaft is 730mm. The two piece is 750mm and the cup is 750mm.

I've got a cup subframe and the roll centre kit so I need the longer shafts otherwise the car won't go! The fact it's a ph2 shaft on a ph1 isn't the issue. I've got the right part for the job.

The oil and seal should be here today (seal is 2.90+vat from Renault) so I'll get it sorted and just tack the end piece in place.

Mk3 Megane 250
Measured the shafts before fitting. Fully compressed a ph1 shaft is 730mm. The two piece is 750mm and the cup is 750mm.

I've got a cup subframe and the roll centre kit so I need the longer shafts otherwise the car won't go! The fact it's a ph2 shaft on a ph1 isn't the issue. I've got the right part for the job.

The oil and seal should be here today (seal is 2.90+vat from Renault) so I'll get it sorted and just tack the end piece in place.
You got the part number for the seal?