ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft fitment help (from those in the 'know') - new shaft looks too short?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Hope someone can confirm this for me. I have just fitted a new RH driveshaft to my 182 (cup packed), it not an OE driveshaft but was sent to me from Renparts as coming off a 182 cup. However, the rubber seal on the end needs to be pushed about 5mm past its locating point to make a seal, which leads me to believe the shaft is in fact too short. Can someone (like Dan, fred etc) please confirm after watching the video below :) or let me know if I have fitted it incorrectly (somehow, I don't see how mind you) Many thanks!

Thanks again :)

P.s, if video isn't playing its because its still being processed by youtube... I posted this a bit to eagerly!

Last edited by a moderator:
  182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
tried watching, got a bit seasick, couldnt work out what you meant TBH

Just just for the record, the shaft only seals in the box on the passenger side, in terms of holding the gear oil in.

What you are describing I think sounds quite normal, but am not 100% I have understand you correctly.

Times like this the internet sucks, but being there and having a grab of your shaft (oooeerrrrr) would make it easy to answer.

Lionel Richie
EDIT, that video doesn't really show sod all LOL, everything looks fine apart from the clip @ 1.42 will probably hit the engine block!

which bit are you have issue with? The outer CV by the disc?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
got any pics?

tried watching, got a bit seasick, couldnt work out what you meant TBH

Just just for the record, the shaft only seals in the box on the passenger side, in terms of holding the gear oil in.

What you are describing I think sounds quite normal, but am not 100% I have understand you correctly.

Times like this the internet sucks, but being there and having a grab of your shaft (oooeerrrrr) would make it easy to answer.

Thanks Fred & Chip. Here are a couple of stills from the video showing what I mean. basically the little rubber seal at the end has to be pushed past its locating ring on the shaft as if the shaft isn't long enough? I guess this seal keeps dirt/crap out of a bearing?

seal1.jpg

seal2.jpg

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
That bit doesn't do the sealing anyway, there is a seal that stays on the box for that side.

I am with Fred though about the boot clip hitting the block.

ok thanks I will check the clip isn't hitting the block. So the rubber bit i'm talking about in the pics above, whats it for if not to seal a bearing etc? Does it serve any purpose? I have tried to find other pics of where it sits on other clio's but so far haven't found any.

Lionel Richie
I've never actually figured out what its for LOL!!

check how close the gaitor is to the engine block also, bet it rubs through in less than 1 month!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
ok thanks I will check the clip isn't hitting the block. So the rubber bit i'm talking about in the pics above, whats it for if not to seal a bearing etc? Does it serve any purpose? I have tried to find other pics of where it sits on other clio's but so far haven't found any.

Nope the bearing is sealed anyway.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I've never actually figured out what its for LOL!!

check how close the gaitor is to the engine block also, bet it rubs through in less than 1 month!

Nope the bearing is sealed anyway.

Ok thanks guys. I will check the clip tomorrow when I (try) and release the tie rod end locking nut which is also frozen and being a pain.

What would the symptoms be if the shaft was too short? Like I said, its not a oe shaft (its made by shaftec) (which is really annoying as that's the reason I went to renparts in the first place, to get an oe part)!

Even more annoying is, the knocking sound is still there when going around a corner at speeds between 20 and 30mph! I thought it was this driveshaft as the outer boot was missing its clip for about 6months last year. All a waste of time :( having no luck at the moment!!!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
If its too short then you would get a knock on full lock when maouvreing as the joint would be dislocating.

You will know by the way when you do the pass side which bit is a seal on the shaft, when gearbox oil comes flooding out of it when you undo the gaitor, lol.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
the diff bearing runs in gearbox oil chip ;)

Indeed it does, and as I have already said there is a seal in place which stops the oil getting out on the drivers side, but on the passenger side its a boot on the shaft?

He wanted to know if this disk on the shaft is needed for sealing, the nearest component that requires any fluid to that point of the shaft is the diff bearing running in gear oil, and there is a seal between it and the shaft, so he doesnt need to worry about it, not sure what you are trying to get at TBH mate or do you just think it needed more detail in the answer?

If you are trying to teach me how a gearbox works though then you really dont need to cause Ive built and fitted more than enough of them over the years to know thanks mate, Im just trying to keep it nice and simple for him and will explain to him how the box works at another time if he wants me to, lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
If its too short then you would get a knock on full lock when maouvreing as the joint would be dislocating.

You will know by the way when you do the pass side which bit is a seal on the shaft, when gearbox oil comes flooding out of it when you undo the gaitor, lol.

lol thanks. Last time I did that side (on my mk1), I forgot to put the supporting ring inside the boot and it did just that lol. I'll try not to let that happen again!

Lionel Richie
He loves an essay does Chip! You made it sound like it was a sealed bearing, not an open bearing behind a seal

anyway, keep on writing, i'd be surprised if the letters are still on your keyboard ;)

www.renparts.co.uk
The part was removed from an Arctic 2005 182 with cup packs, but if you have any issue with any part please don't hesitate to get in touch and we will be more than happy to resolve any problems.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
He loves an essay does Chip! You made it sound like it was a sealed bearing, not an open bearing behind a seal

TBH as it was an immediate response required type thread where he had a problem he wanted to solve I was just trying to focus on his actual issue as briefly as possible rather than when its one of those theoretical questions where things go on and on as there is no urgency, but cheers for pointing out the error in my summary then mate, its definately better worded like you just did so the thread will now serve people better in the future if they find it when searching :)

You at work this saturday morning by the way @Fred@BTM ? as I was thinking I might pop down and grab that 197 lump.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
The part was removed from an Arctic 2005 182 with cup packs, but if you have any issue with any part please don't hesitate to get in touch and we will be more than happy to resolve any problems.

Thanks Josh, If it works and the seal bit i'm talking about is not an issue (i.e its not going to let dirt/grit etc into the diff and cause damage), then I will just leave it on. I will be doing the full lock test once I sort the steering and checking the clip isn't hitting the engine block as advised above, if both are all ok it will be staying in place as it not worth the hassle. As it hasn't fixed the problem, I might need the wet side shaft off that 182!! lol.

I hope no one takes what I said in my previous post as a dig at renparts, their customer service has so far been brilliant and all my orders have been delivered in the expected time. I am just personally going through a very unlucky & bad patch at the moment (as some of you will know) and this not being an oe part falls into that... ...along with the camcorder I ordered from a rouge trader on ebay that got deviled to me in a bloody jiffy bag with half the bits missing, no box, just a jiffy bag!! :(

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Had a closer look today and the clip is about 1mm away from the block, so i'm not happy with that. Thanks to Fred@BTM & @Dan for pointing that out. Also there is slight knocking on hard lock, so it could also be too short. hopefully Renparts will be able to sort me out :)

shaft1.jpg

Last edited:
  AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Just spoken to Renparts which have been brilliant; they were very understanding and are sending me out another driveshaft. :)

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Thanks Josh, If it works and the seal bit i'm talking about is not an issue (i.e its not going to let dirt/grit etc into the diff and cause damage), then I will just leave it on. I will be doing the full lock test once I sort the steering and checking the clip isn't hitting the engine block as advised above, if both are all ok it will be staying in place as it not worth the hassle. As it hasn't fixed the problem, I might need the wet side shaft off that 182!! lol.

I hope no one takes what I said in my previous post as a dig at renparts, their customer service has so far been brilliant and all my orders have been delivered in the expected time. I am just personally going through a very unlucky & bad patch at the moment (as some of you will know) and this not being an oe part falls into that... ...along with the camcorder I ordered from a rouge trader on ebay that got deviled to me in a bloody jiffy bag with half the bits missing, no box, just a jiffy bag!! :(

Probably worth a paypal claim? Done that a couple of times including once on a lexmark printer I ordered, to find I was sent a box with a brick in it... used recorded postage to me though so i'm assuming he wanted the right weight on the receipt for Paypal. Disputed the payment and put pictures of the brick in the box with a ton of newspaper, won the claim a few days later I believe.