ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drivers window seal / rubber surrounding.. Kinked - how hard to replace.

I've just had the dents taken out of my car, there was a dent on the drivers a pillar and to get to it the rubber seal had to be removed, it sat back ok but had a ripple in which annoyed me, and when I tried to fix it later on Ive made it worse to the point I want a new seal.

Ive looked on ebay they seem to be £80 plus :dead:

I imagine they are hard to fit or not? It just seems once they are fitted seeing as they have metal in they dont like to be removed.

Help please!

Is this the weather seal that runs all around the door frame? It should lift away fairly easy - some have a bit of black adhesive stuff. I've lifted mine a few times on a leak hunt and i just used something heavy but soft to smack it back into the right palce - like a rubber mallet.

Yeah all the way around the outside, it had a kink outwards from being pulled away it one spot. Just on the side part next to the pillar.

I've gently pulled it away and used pliers to get rid of the kink now now I've just used a bit of silicone and taped it tight around the pillar now. Hoping it sets flush. If not ill be looking for a new seal.

Apparently it's very hard to install a new one without bending the lead or whatever inside ?

Oh, I thought you meant weather seal for the window, I mean the smooth seal that goes around the outside of the the window, the door one is easy to get on and off like you say its flexible, this seal has metal in unfortunately.

Apologies! I realise the one you're talking about now - Yeah they're metal lined i believe, like the splitter. not only makes them dear, but a proper mf to fit and remove.
Is it worth a trip to a scrappys you think? No end of wrecked clios for you to try and pilfer the seals from, before shelling out the dosh,

Ive never sucsessfully found a local scrappy I can walk into with tools and start dismantling cars, I think i'd have a field day!

Anyone know of some in Essex, close to epping/loughton area?

Also I think the top and side has metal in, does the bottom?

I've done my best and got it pretty decently sat now, still a small ripple but much better. Will upload a pic from my phone.

I'm going to look like a right ***** now as its hard to see in the pic, half way down is where it was, looks alright now I've done it, this is how it's sitting now which is fine tbh but from the side it's rippled a bit.

6a2u6yby.jpg

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
You could try getting a rubber mallet and lightly beating the seal flat against the door. They aren't that hard to replace but you need to remove the window make it easier otherwise you risk kinking the seal putting it in.

I did the exact same thing when I changed my glass in the door, put it back and there was a small bend in it, taking it out a little to correct it made another one and it went on and on from there. It's in the back of my head at the minute but I really need to get it replaced.

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
you think thats bad, mine a fucked on both sides, it looks like i;ve gone round it with a hammer.

i would leave it tbh, heat will only change its colour if your going to try warming it up. plus, chances are , the new seals ' could ' get bent when trying to put them in

Cheers chaps, he tried to make it better for ages and I thought of the mallet idea but the metal is so soft if I hit the rubber Id dent the metal on the pillar.

I think the only way is hope for a new one cheap on ebay, anyone found any links to cheap replacement sets?

And Mike when you say remove the window, you can just drop the window all the way into the door with the window switches cant you? wouldnt need to fully remove the glass? or would I need to?

This shows how it really is, not that bad I know but still annoying when I've gone out of my way to try and perfect everything else.

456_zps1f3229bc.jpg

Has anyone removed and replaced there window seal without any bother?

If I can find an non ruined one I will bother replacing it, if it's a case of needing a window fitter to do it I will wait?