ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive shaft gator replacement

After my last track day I discovered my NS outer driveshaft gator has a small split and has chucked all of its grease out.

Just wondered what my options could be other than buy a brand new shaft.
I have seen kits with a gator and cone to slide it on, has anybody successfully changed the gator this way.
Cheers

Matt

renault clio 1.4 16v
should be able to take the shaft apart and change the gator, otherwise a split gator may be a option, if its been running dry for a while then id replace or repair if the cups have not worn too much...

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Yeh, hardest thing was getting all the bolts off for me.

How's yours holding up @dann2707? Picked up that spanner/tool from yours earlier as well :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Please, please, please... buy a GKN boot kit from Renault. They rubber ones from J&R/"the internet" are rubbish and they'll be dead again in a few months. The GKN units are a nylon construction which resists the build up of temp thru friction in the material when the vehicle is driving and turning. In rubber gaiters, this heat/friction causes them to perish/split which is why Renault didn't use them in the first place.

The boot kit is readily available from Renault, costing around £30 and contains everything you need to do the job correctly (Boot, CV grease, Clips, Securing lock ring).

Please, please, please... buy a GKN boot kit from Renault. They rubber ones from J&R/"the internet" are rubbish and they'll be dead again in a few months. The GKN units are a nylon construction which resists the build up of temp thru friction in the material when the vehicle is driving and turning. In rubber gaiters, this heat/friction causes them to perish/split which is why Renault didn't use them in the first place.

The boot kit is readily available from Renault, costing around £30 and contains everything you need to do the job correctly (Boot, CV grease, Clips, Securing lock ring).
Thanks for the info, can these ones be put on using the cone?

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Nope, you will need to remove the CV joint from the shaft to do this. Nylon, by design, does not stretch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Renault Clio 172
the j&r ones are neoprene which should be better than nylon in theory for a cv boot?
could be wrong but ive had no problems with mine

colesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 182 197 E61 530D
Sorry to hijack but are the cv joints knock off? Need to do both outer boots on mine

172 Ph1
the j&r ones are neoprene which should be better than nylon in theory for a cv boot?
could be wrong but ive had no problems with mine

Outer joints don't knock off no .
Inner joints need to be removed and the gator slides down the shaft .

Just found that Ktec have 172 non cup genuine drive shafts for £142, am I missing something as this seems a very good price for a new shaft especially from Ktec

Radugns

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 ph2
Hi,
Can anyone provide me a part number for the inner gator of a 172 ph2 driver side driveshaft?
Thanks
Radu