ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive in drive out turbo conversion

So I've recently purchased a 172 that I am quite impressed with. I was thinking of then complimenting with a r26. However I love the clio that much I've been tempted to buy another and install some forced induction and put it on a weight loss plan ;-)

As I am new to the forum could anyone point me in the direction of best drive in drive out solutions? Or a better plan would be to do it myself but as I have little mechanical experience I really would need lots of practical help but is there anyone who would do this type of thing?

just-that-ek

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane R26
So I've recently purchased a 172 that I am quite impressed with. I was thinking of then complimenting with a r26. However I love the clio that much I've been tempted to buy another and install some forced induction and put it on a weight loss plan ;-)

As I am new to the forum could anyone point me in the direction of best drive in drive out solutions? Or a better plan would be to do it myself but as I have little mechanical experience I really would need lots of practical help but is there anyone who would do this type of thing?

http://www.engine-dynamics.com/TurboConversion/cid103/TurboConversion.asp

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
R26 will be cheaper and hold it's value longer than if you go and pay for a turbo conversion including labour.

Buy one already done so someone else has lost lots of money on it?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Id buy that, use the bits to boost yours then sell that to regain most of your dollars
He says he wants a second car, so why not just buy something like this and leave it?

and why would he be selling parts in dollars if he is uk based, this adding currency complexity that isn't needed? Or is dollars what cool 12 year olds now say as I'm a bit old for that nonsense.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
He says he wants a second car, so why not just buy something like this and leave it?

and why would he be selling parts in dollars if he is uk based, this adding currency complexity that isn't needed? Or is dollars what cool 12 year olds now say as I'm a bit old for that nonsense.

Grumpy chip is grumpy.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I wouldnt want a engine or box i knew had been running alot more hp than it was intended
But would want the hassle of putting all the bits on another engine? Why not just leave it working and then put the bits on another engine if that one dies?
May as well use it if it's all working IMHO.

Lol... Yeah it's a second car so if I could get one for that kind of money it would stay as is.... They seem to be quite hard to find other than eBay and I've been stung before with eBay :-(

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Won't going to Uni mean you have less money, not more?

What sort of power output at that price?

Would imagine it will be clutch limited at that price, and that's going to vary from car to car based on current clutch make and condition.
So probably 230 ish?

Won't going to Uni mean you have less money, not more?

What sort of power output at that price?

Tbh I'd like to see the same power that my supercharged one is doing which is circa 270-280. But I think I'm pushing mine a bit too much for the general public to be left with (mine sees new oil every 2000 miles, is rarely given proper abuse etc) So I'd say 250 would be my expected output.

I will be running a different turbo to what Andy offers, (gt2860r in my kit) and I plan ok having a very controllable boost regulation (boost x rpm x throttle) to give power all the way to the redline, and more importantly in my opinion a very neat torque curve. Similar to my supercharged car:

983B6715-0D38-4D7A-9803-64450AF164C0.jpg

I can't price match Andy, as my ecu, electronic boost control solenoid and turbo are more expensive.

Last edited:
Lol... I'm very interested in this now... Currently looking for cars to have this. A few options at the moment. Would love a white one to compliment the current black one. Maybe a damaged one would suite and get it wrapped.

I've never seen one in the flesh but in general like white cars. Think it would compliment the black one very well too. What other mods do people recommend with to compliment the turbo? I feel as though the standard brakes are very well setup well on the black one they are with Brembo upgrade discs and mintex pads. The clutch seems to be a question mark though.

RB 182 Cup
I've never seen one in the flesh but in general like white cars. Think it would compliment the black one very well too. What other mods do people recommend with to compliment the turbo? I feel as though the standard brakes are very well setup well on the black one they are with Brembo upgrade discs and mintex pads. The clutch seems to be a question mark though.

Depends what power you're looking for. If I ever turbo'd mine I'd upgrade the clutch at the same time. I would keep some money spare just in case anything happens to your gearbox too.

Is there a recommended gearbox upgrade? I hear very mixed results about the paddle clutch. What power is the recommended for road with occasional track use? I think I would be happy with 230 - 260 to be honest.

Clio 172 182 197 200
that really is good value.

Yeah Chip he certainly does have a good deal, and considering its got more parts of better quality than one of his well known competitors ( Not a member on here) and with a Standalone its certainly value, i believe hes on number 32 now with no issues of any of the parts at all :) Even at a £300 extra you will receive a Garret Turbo over the very reliable one that hes offering. its all about what the customer needs and wants

Some times people who think they have too much money just go and buy things that are over priced because there completely clueless or sucked into a "BRAND NAME" :)

Here is a Roling Road Graph of Andys Package for the 265bhp conversion, with Megane 225 Pistons and Rods

So i cant see any skimping going on here to effect "limited Performance "

http://www.clioturbo.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=87&product_id=64

1779229_670358643026951_1266437811_n.jpg

Last edited:

Ph1 Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah Chip he certainly does have a good deal, and considering its got more parts of better quality than one of his well known competitors ( Not a member on here) and with a Standalone its certainly value, i believe hes on number 32 now with no issues of any of the parts at all :) Even at a £300 extra you will receive a Garret Turbo over the very reliable one that hes offering. its all about what the customer needs and wants

Some times people who think they have too much money just go and buy things that are over priced because there completely clueless or sucked into a "BRAND NAME" :)

Here is a Roling Road Graph of Andys Package for the 265bhp conversion, with Megane 225 Pistons and Rods

So i cant see any skimping going on here to effect "limited Performance "

http://www.clioturbo.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=87&product_id=64

1779229_670358643026951_1266437811_n.jpg

Tbh I'd like to see the same power that my supercharged one is doing which is circa 270-280. But I think I'm pushing mine a bit too much for the general public to be left with (mine sees new oil every 2000 miles, is rarely given proper abuse etc) So I'd say 250 would be my expected output.

I will be running a different turbo to what Andy offers, (gt2860r in my kit) and I plan ok having a very controllable boost regulation (boost x rpm x throttle) to give power all the way to the redline, and more importantly in my opinion a very neat torque curve. Similar to my supercharged car:

983B6715-0D38-4D7A-9803-64450AF164C0.jpg

I can't price match Andy, as my ecu, electronic boost control solenoid and turbo are more expensive.

tbf both graphs look good! One would give you more midrange due to the way its setup. For an inexpensive and effective road car setup that would be a great choice. The more linear one would be better on track and the one I'd go for because I prefer a linear curve.

You could do that with either setup though by running electronic boost control either through the ECU or an external boost controller, you could have multiple maps too and have the best of both.