ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Downsides of standalone ecu

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
So im thinking of getting throttle bodies... obviously if i do im gona need standalone management, but what are the disadvantages of it? Will I lose my trip computer etc?

yes, you lose the trip computer for mpg, everything else like average speed, miles done etc is right, but anything to do with MPG is some random made-up-ness. Other than that you wont notice ANY difference running one day to day.
I have the Omex600 on mine as it was on ITB's, but is back on std inlet again. Still running the Omex and again, you'd never know.

you can still just fill up, hit the button and run it to empty and see how many miles you get, which is more accurate than the trip comp which I'm sure lies... I've seen 38mpg average and there's simply no way lol

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
you will never be able to sell the car agin with one on LOL.

meh.. put it this way. i wouldnt have one unless i needed one. but they will do anything once setup!

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
Well i have been a bit suspicious of the mpg meter, but its useful to have some sort of gauge you can peek at... it slows me down and saves me money cos im constantly tryin to keep it above 30, even if its not totally accurate :)

My car has just hit 70k and ive been thinking about what im gona do in the future. Now given the effort to remove the suspension, exhaust, 182 manifold etc, and the fact that i want my next car to have paddle shift, im probably goin to keep hold of it for another few years at least... so my current thinking is to get a second lower mileage engine+gearbox resonably cheap, whack on TBs and cams, swap with my current engine/gearbox and happydays :) im hoping to get it all done for about 3.5k i no i should be able to get the parts for about 3k

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
yeah im being a bit optimistic, my workin is...

2ndhand gearbox 100
2ndhand engine 500
2ndhand cams 500
New TB kit 2000 (i think ive grossly underestimated here)

labour.... 500?

im guessing it'll be easier to do the cambelt, cams and throttle bodies with the engine out, so im hopin to save a bit on labour there, then theres the cost of swapping the engine. anyone got a good idea on how much labour will be needed?

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
ecu £600
loom £150
injectors £300
boddies £1000 (depending on which)
airbox£150 ?
cams £500-£600
cam belt £120
AUX brackets, cup bits lines etc £250
coil pack bracket £40?
short rad £300
mapping £300-£500

^ plus vat before any labour

then there is all the labour to fit the cams, belts, boddies, install the new loom, sort the brake vac pipes etc £god knows

plus you new box and engine and removing and fiting of engine

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
good lord.

when you list it all like that... maybe it would be more worthwhile getting a TB package done at awt or similar, then just getting the gearbox changed when it goes pop a few months later.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
jenvys yes,

but you would then need to buy the manifold, have it "finished" as there a state when they come direct, then you need the airbox and throttle linkage kit to go with them,

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
good lord.

when you list it all like that... maybe it would be more worthwhile getting a TB package done at awt or similar, then just getting the gearbox changed when it goes pop a few months later.

Dont think BenR would do the single TB conversion, but ITBs yes. it is less hasstle to leave it to the pros!

plus it will be a tidy job :)

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
good lord.

Dont think BenR would do the single TB conversion, but ITBs yes. it is less hasstle to leave it to the pros!

plus it will be a tidy job :)

From what i can recall reading, there isnt a huge difference between single and individual? i wouldnt mind itb's if there isnt much in the price, just the key thing for me is keeping the aircon!

There's a difference mate, ITB's make more power, but the single TB isn't bad at all. Various know it all's with zero practical experience will tell you it doesn't do anything etc etc etc, but it's been done to a few cars now and made some very good power.

You can keep the aircon with the new GDI/AT Power throttle bodies iirc and they are cheaper and better than the Jenveys and DTH, so no DCOE manifold needed.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
There's a difference mate, ITB's make more power, but the single TB isn't bad at all. Various know it all's with zero practical experience will tell you it doesn't do anything etc etc etc, but it's been done to a few cars now and made some very good power.

You can keep the aircon with the new GDI/AT Power throttle bodies iirc and they are cheaper and better than the Jenveys and DTH, so no DCOE manifold needed.

yer right.

Stoddies and Marks made huge power with that conversion.

Reminds me, i must fit my 1000000mm tb, i need to hit a sub 10 sec quater mile.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
if you are going to be spending that kinda money, then ITBs are the way forward.

forget the single TB

yer right.

neither of them had a larger single TB

M

mini-valver

Stoddies did. I'm not starting an arguement here but Philthy sold the Jenvey body on when he got ITB's.

V6 Exige, GTR R35
yer right.

neither of them had a larger single TB

wrong again!

you obviously didnt look close enough when it was lying down at gdi for months on end.

not meaning to start an argument or nothing......

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
I'm confused about who is saying stb's are crap and who's saying they aint...

Anyway... Prices for full converstion from what I can figure out
GDI STB £3407
GDI ITB £3583
KTEC ITB ~£2800 (just kit)
YOZZA ITB £3750
AWT???

V6 Exige, GTR R35
before you take your car anywhere fella make sure you search past problems people have had.

there is plenty to read! try a search for markm and stoddie - will keep you interested for days......

i cant say anything or this post will get reported/removed by the followers.....

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
the followers haha. i have spent over a grand at gdi, and ive been down to mark fish for my suspension. so now i quite fancy the idea of buying the dth kit from gdi and seeing how good awt are

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
the followers haha. i have spent over a grand at gdi, and ive been down to mark fish for my suspension. so now i quite fancy the idea of buying the dth kit from gdi and seeing how good awt are

Thats a pretty good solution.

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
nah if people wana argue they can do it on another thread, this is mine so people can give me opinions that are relevant to what i wana know :)

Lionel Richie
the ecu is only as good as the person installing and mapping it

you can spend £2K on an ecu, but if its mapped by a numpty expect a big bill

i can highly recommend speaking to torque of the devil in uxbridge if you want an unbiased view away from all "the slagging"