ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Download problems...

when downloading from a site or fixed source its fine, i get great rates but when downloading from a p2p related thing i get really s**t rates....

im runnin a mac and laptop off a airport wireless internet connection, and firewalls are off.... Any ideas?!

Greatly appreciated.

Clio 172mk2
p2ps are crap , some look at how much you upload n give u a % download of that

otheres are just slow n e ways

Clio 182
depending on what p2p you are using you have to forward a range of ports through your firewall and router directly to your pc.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Dansta said:
i use to get great rates.... one day it just stopped.

mates still get great rates on it...

You're on plusnet aren't you (iirc)? If so, there's your reason.

sn00p said:
You're on plusnet aren't you (iirc)? If so, there's your reason.

I`m with Plusnet and i get good DL speeds, usually depends on how well the file is being seeded. Try changing your ports used as ISP`s block comonly used ports on P2P, i`m not too technical with stuff like this though, so excuse my ignorance.

172 Cup
Either the firewall(s) aren't off and/or your ISP is blocking/restricting certain ports.

P2P is pants anyway.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
ChrisO182 said:
I`m with Plusnet and i get good DL speeds, usually depends on how well the file is being seeded. Try changing your ports used as ISP`s block comonly used ports on P2P, i`m not too technical with stuff like this though, so excuse my ignorance.

Plusnet have packet inspecting traffic shapers, p2p & usenet has the lowest priority.

When the network is "busy" you should expect sub 30kb/s transfer rates on p2p. Browsing & http downloads "should" be unnafected. I don't use p2p, but I can tell you that usenet took a massive hit, they've backtracked on some of the changes and my speeds have jumped back up, but if you download more than 15gb of usenet a month, then your usenet traffic drops back into the bronze queue.

Take a look over at the adslguide.org.uk forums for a history of what has happened.

I don't believe that plusnet have ever blocked ports.

Edit: Added a dot to make it clearer.

strangely enough, i've experienced a massive drop in performance on BitTorrents on NTL too, could be something to do with them?