ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

down on power when cold????

anything
has anyone else had this problem

i start the car in the morning it idles fine i let it warm up before moving then when i take of it feels like its running on 2 cylinders (but its not) up to 3000 rpm then it clears and is fine until the next time i start it cold tis weird
car has just had a full full service at 22k and is an 03 172
any help would be great thanks

Jap Shed
just because the dials at halfway does not always mean its going to give full power.

its an inbuilt saftey measure to stop engine damage.

Qashcow
cliobritt, it wouldnt stop it revving past 3k even if its cold!!! more like 7k

not sure what it could be though ferrett, someone with more knowledge will come along shortly

Clio 197 R27 Albi
lots of 172/182's are lumpy when cold. its to do with the cams. mine does it but i drive carfull untill its all warmed up.

dont look at the temp dial tbh, rule of thumb is 20mins before you start giving it beans if thats what you was planing.

anything
it prob would go past 3k but again i dont drive hard i normally let it warm for around 10 mins before setting off the car only gets reved past this a good 20 mins into driving

but as i say its only the the first few metres of driving then its ok ..maybe im just being picky

Clio 197 R27 Albi
it prob would go past 3k but again i dont drive hard i normally let it warm for around 10 mins before setting off the car only gets reved past this a good 20 mins into driving

but as i say its only the the first few metres of driving then its ok ..maybe im just being picky

yeah i was the same. thought it was a bit annoying at first but then again no cars perfect just one of the 182's joys.

182 (Conversion)
Mines a dog when cold. Normally I turn it on it idles fine, then when the oil OK goes off the dash it splutters for a bit (as if it's going to die) then a few secs later it picks up again and it's OK to drive off. It's still lumpy and that for a few miles.

Sometimes, seems when it's wet, it's worse and after those few secs it doesn't get better - takes much longer to feel fine then.

I don't believe all this "to do with the cams" - when idling it's on a pretty standard profile.

Monaco 172 (02)
Mines very similar mate, reminds me of my old 50cc moped.
Pulling out of my estate mine feels lumpy, and almost like a misfire. I leave it in 4th down a back road (30mph) about a mile long and its fine by then.

Qashcow
oh fair enough then, i have a lumpy idle when cold but thats just cool. it pulls away fine everytime though

53 Clio's & counting
Its to do with emissions apparently, it runs a rich map for the first few mins to get the car to warm up faster, gives the impression that the car struggles to pull revs, as said after a few mins it will clear, just a point in the map when cold where it needs a bit more fuel

Nothing to worry about

anything
Its to do with emissions apparently, it runs a rich map for the first few mins to get the car to warm up faster, gives the impression that the car struggles to pull revs, as said after a few mins it will clear, just a point in the map when cold where it needs a bit more fuel

Nothing to worry about

just the answer is wa looking for russ ..thanks

Clio 182 FF
Very normal with the clio sports... loads of threads on here about it... nearly every day there is a new one...

Clio 182
Aha just spotted this thread, mine does exactly the same when cold! As ferrett explains it, feels as if the engine is running on two cylinders!!

Cheers for the info guys, put my mind at ease lol!