ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Double declutching, heel and toe etc

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
I don't see why everyone harks on about trail braking when i was barely getting any understeer or oversteer on a soaking wet track! My evening at snetterton was probably the first time I didnt drive all kamikaze and try rallying it lol and it seemed fine.

Only really for lap times. It can allow you to brake a little later as you continue the braking into the corner instead of finishing it before.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Looking at the video I would say focus on the Apex rather than heel and toe........

clio 182 trophy
Learning to heel and toe is easy in the clio as the throttle response is pretty decent. Practice rev matching forst to get a feel for the response and required pressure and your more than half way there.

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Don't you run the risk of locking wheels up when braking mid corner?
I'm sure when I had a little tuition before I got told that? May be wrong though.

Interesting thread nonetheless

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Don't you run the risk of locking wheels up when braking mid corner?
I'm sure when I had a little tuition before I got told that? May be wrong though.

Interesting thread nonetheless
Not trail braking no. Unless your braking too hard obviously or unbalancing the car to a large extent. Trail braking is used to help shift the weight forwards and increase the front end grip. Also helps to get the front end pointing more where you want it.

When you've got the hang of it, it's useful in everyday driving too. Especially in company cars/works vans. These are THE fastest vehicles on the road. Because you don't have to fix them when you break them. Lol!

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Ah I see.
I tend to blip throttle on down changes but I do keep meaning to practice heel and toe.

After making the thread I've practiced but its just not practical with the clio pedals and trainers imo. I end up just cocking up my cornering or braking or both.

As to the locking wheels up. I've never done that in any vehicle in ten years of driving so I wouldbt worrg about that!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Left foot braking is the one to help you crash when practicing!

Long empty motorway exits are good for practicing this too.

I was lucky enough to be 'gifted' a rattly old 2.5 V6 auto Vauxhall Omega which I ran for a year before selling it on. From day one I swore to myself that my right foot would never touch the brake pedal. It was hard work, in the beginning it was like the first time I ever drove a car with no feel or sensitivity and constantly pressing way too hard. Got there in the end though.

As with everything, practice, practice, practice.

As for footwear, it matters not one bit in my opinion. I can do it in wellies or slippers LOL.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As for footwear, it matters not one bit in my opinion. I can do it in wellies or slippers LOL.

Heh, I thought of this thread driving my Mum home- I offered to drive but was wearing flip flops. And the accelerator in a Fiat Panda is higher than the brake pedal, I made it work though.

I drove a 911 (think it was a carrerra GTS) manual at the porsche silverstone track and this matched revs on downswifts, I thought it was pretty awesome.

mk1 Octavia VRS
After making the thread I've practiced but its just not practical with the clio pedals and trainers imo. I end up just cocking up my cornering or braking or both.

As to the locking wheels up. I've never done that in any vehicle in ten years of driving so I wouldbt worrg about that!
Did you try it while stationary? Try that first, then while braking lightly in a straight line. You should get in the right gear before the corner not during the corner - this goes for road and track driving.

Don't worry about trail braking yet - the idea is to turn in as you ease off the brakes to help bring the nose in towards the apex. Brake too hard while turning in and the back end might try to overtake the front. :)

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I tend to use the ball of my foot to brake and 'lean' the outside of my foot under the little toe to blip the throttle.

I've done it ever since I had a ZS at 19 to do it by habit now.

Footwear to me makes little to no odds IMO!

Listerine & Poledo
I get into gear before the corner, with blips on downshift.Then heavy brake pedal and engine breaking combine.
Apex.
Throttle.
Wind off lock.

T-Junction? Nailed it

Clio 182. Black.
I'm no track day expert at all but on the road the blip of the throttle for downshifts is a little lazy & more of a rallying type downchange where time Is of the essence. The correct process is after you have reduced speed for the bend to then get a pulling engine in the gear you are in. Basically a light trailing throttle. You should then keep your right foot perfectly still. The clutch goes down & the revs should rise enough to take the lower gear. It needs a bit of practise but makes for a very smooth downshift.
Obviously this is a road practise & not track - which I have no knowledge about.
The above method is for smooth progressive road driving.
Thanks. Great site.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Isn't the point of heel and toe to keep the car balanced while braking later (and harder due to engine braking) into corners?

And it gives you all the power and the right gear you need to exit the corner.

I was just thinking about this today.