ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dot 5 or AP Dot 5.1?

fad

Clio 182 FF
Right I plan on doing quite a few more track days this year in my 182 and dont fancy boiling my brake fuid as I have been in a few cars on track days where this has happend and its never good!

I am currently running Brembo Maxi discs and looking to order some Ferrodo DS2500 and some braided brake lines.

Just need to turn my attention to the fluid another point is this is also my every day car too?

Also if anyone can point me towards where to order my DS2500 as it dont seem to be listed on motorsportworlds website?

Mk2 172
Ive got 5.1 fluid in my car with the sam esetup as your on about but apparently the fluid needs changing more regular with 5.1. Not sure why but i will just go to dot 4 next time i think. im goin to the ring a couple of times this year but im sure dot 4 will be fine :)

Clio 172 ff
I'll just quote myself from an earlier thread if you don't mind:

Dot 5 is silicone based and is not compatible with dot 3, dot 4 or dot 5.1. Therefore, it should only be used if you completely rebuild the hydraulic system. But I'm sure you don't want to do that. Also, dot 5 fluid, unlike dot 4 or dot 5.1, doesn't absorb water. That sounds like an advantage, but as far as safety goes, it really isn't. So, as long as you don't get water in the system, it's fine, but if you do, it's dangerous. Don't know about the UK, but in Germany, it's illegal to use dot 5 on the road. And in any case, dot 5 should not be used with ABS braking systems, afaik.

So, a high quality dot 4 should actually be sufficient. I'm using ATE Super Blue Racing which is a dot 4 specification but does have a dry boiling point of 280°C and of 198°C wet.

Mk2 172
I'll just quote myself from an earlier thread if you don't mind:

Dot 5 is silicone based and is not compatible with dot 3, dot 4 or dot 5.1. Therefore, it should only be used if you completely rebuild the hydraulic system. But I'm sure you don't want to do that. Also, dot 5 fluid, unlike dot 4 or dot 5.1, doesn't absorb water. That sounds like an advantage, but as far as safety goes, it really isn't. So, as long as you don't get water in the system, it's fine, but if you do, it's dangerous. Don't know about the UK, but in Germany, it's illegal to use dot 5 on the road. And in any case, dot 5 should not be used with ABS braking systems, afaik.

So, a high quality dot 4 should actually be sufficient. I'm using ATE Super Blue Racing which is a dot 4 specification but does have a dry boiling point of 280°C and of 198°C wet.

cool cheers :)

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Castrol response dot 4 is what i use, did 60/70 laps of Silverstone GP no worries.

I have the Brembo HC, DS 2500 & lines set up;)